1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bubbablake_2, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bubbablake_2

bubbablake_2 Thread Starter

So here is my problem. During the day my internet connection is completely horrible. We have a wireless router which is used to connect my computer via a cable and 4 laptops with wireless. Each computer uses the Internet and with all five computers running I would expect the connection to be slow. However, even if I'm the only one connected and using the Internet my connection is dropped constantly and I can barely browse the web. At about 1:00 A.M. the internet seems to be up to speed and my connections are usually fine.
    At about midnight I ran tracert to www.google.com and I got the picture of the command prompt with all the * and the picture of the router telling me internet connection was lost. About an hour later at 1:00 A.M. I got the picture where I could see the actual hops. The first picture I mentioned showed that I was able to hop to my router and to the default gateway but no further (I think).
    I'm guessing this is just because there are so many people on during the day? We pay somewhere between $50-$60 a month for this and it's quite disappointing to not be able to use it. Our internet connection is brought to the house with a satellite on our roof pointing towards the ISP's tower. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A satellite is pretty large and has a lot of metal parts and could easily interfere with any kind of radio signal. How, briefly, did one somehow end up on your roof??? And it caused no serious damage when it landed?

What kind of internet service do you have? You mention "ISP's tower" so I'm guessing mobile wireless. If so, have you tried closer to the cell tower to see if distance is contributing to the problem? Or at least outside away from any possible interference from that satellite?

3. bubbablake_2

bubbablake_2 Thread Starter

Luckily we were able to find some people to remove the satellite and fortunately no damage was done to the house. However, there is still a dish/antenna up there connected to the house so I'm not able to move closer to the tower. We have the wireless internet but it's not mobile.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    :D:D (y)(y)

Ah, line of sight wireless. Somewhat similar to this thread. Check it out for some more of my weird ideas.

Maybe your ISP is overloaded, but a lot of your neighbors go to bed by 1:00 am. This is my top suspicion.

Maybe the dish/antenna is not adjusted properly, or loose, and something about the cool night air permits it to function correctly.

I cannot think of anything other than to beat on your ISP for answers and a solution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice