1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by srumfelt, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. srumfelt

srumfelt Thread Starter

I cannot get on the internet. My cable internet company came out and they said after 2 hours looking into it that my cable is working fine. I am going thru a linksys router. I can go onto xbox live but cannot get onto the internet using windows explorer. The cable company told me that it looked like the bad ip addresses that were in my ip address were keeping me off the internet. I called linksys about it and they said to disable the firewalls and the bad addresses should clear. I disabled xp and mcafee firewall but still have the bad ip addresses and cant get on the internet.
    This is close to what my Ip address looks like.
    Ip address-This one reads out like it should.
    Subnet Mask-This one reads out like it should.
    Then another IP address: fe80--2c0:26ff:fe7n:94f7%4
    Tunnel adapter teredo tunneling pseudo interfaces
    IP Address- fe80::5445:5245:44f%5

Tunnel adapter teredo tunneling pseudo interfaces
    IP address fe80:5efe:my real IP address.100x2

How can I reset this or clear it to get my ip address to read right and hopefully get me back to using the internet again. I also am abe to use my program using window xp just cannot get on the internet. Let me know I would appreciate it.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

START RUN CMD

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

3. srumfelt

srumfelt Thread Starter

When I do the release it gets rid of the bottom bad Ip tunnelk address but the rest is still there. When I do a renew the last bad address comes back.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Try bypassing the router and connecting directly to your PC. Do you run any VPN client software?

5. srumfelt

srumfelt Thread Starter

No, as far as I know i do not run any vpn client. Not sure what it is. I have xp with service pak 2 and mcafee security pack 2005 which has privacy, firewall, spam and virus protection. It is just a home computer do not run remote on it. It is not tied to other computer. I use a router to run my xbox thru it. I will try what you suggested though. Thank you

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Looks like your Winows XP has IPv6 running on it. I would suggest changing it to IPv4 because most things except specialized apps use IPv4.

Also is there any special reason your running a tunnel? Do you have to connect in remotely anywhere? If not then remove that as well.

7. srumfelt

srumfelt Thread Starter

I do not know how to get rid of the tunneling I did not put it on there unless I did it by accident. I am not doing anything remote how do i remove this and how do i get ipv4

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You uninstall IPv6, which is nothing but trouble, and you'll revert to IPv4.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice