1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bad memory or not!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bascotie, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I'm working on a computer that blue screens sometimes at Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.

It has also ONCE thrown out an error code that referred to the memory. I ran memtest, and found a bunch of errors.

Took out TWO sticks (with TWO still inside), and ran memtest. Ran way longer with no errors.

Inserted a THIRD stick. no errors

Inserted a FOURTH stick with no errors.

Where did the errors go!?

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Memory diagnostics tend to be the least reliable software diagnostics you can run. They often fail to detect bad modules. On the other hand, if you got errors running memtest, than you definitely either have a bad module or bad memory controller. In your case, I think one of the modules you used in the first test is defective. Which is why you always want to test a single module at a time. Hopefully, you paid attention to the errors the first time around and noted the address of the failed tests so you can identify the bad module without more wasted time.

3. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Shoot, I wish I did notice the address fields. The first time I ran it, within 10 minutes we had non-stop memory errors. I took out 2 sticks, nothing. Put in another, nothing. Put it the last stick thinking "this is the one", and nothing for over an hour so far. X_X

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

That's typical for modules that are going bad; they can exhibit erratic behavior and they often pass diagnostics, though they will get worse over time and eventually fail consistently. It often takes several hours of testing per module to find the defective part.

5. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

I ran several hours of mem test on all 4 modules. I then ran a blend test of prime95 for the whole night (came out to over 12 hours) with not one error. Could it be that removing the modules and inserting them in a different order removed whatever was causing the issue (a short or electrical issue that got drained?)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sometimes re-seating the memory modules is all that it takes. Installing them in a different order may have also helped, if the modules are not the same then maybe the computer based the timings/speed off the stick in the first slot.

7. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

I sure hope so because I've tested all modules for over 12 hours collectively. I am now testing one stick at a time for 4-5 hours each to make sure it is stable enough to give back.to. the customer. The memory all came with the computer in a weird number like 5+ gigs

I've had a similar problem.with a.close model computer and later found the mobo to be the issue

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice