1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bad memory slot B1???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamesx121, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamesx121

jamesx121 Thread Starter

other day my computer made loud long Beeps at Post.
    Google listings said dram problem.
    I normally run 4gb of ram in a 2-2 configuration. I removed the card from B1 and then my system started fine with just one
    card in A1.
    wondered if it was just the card its-self so I placed the removed card into slot A1. still started up fine with just one card (original B1 card) installed in A1.
    then I placed other card which was originally in slot A1 into slot B1 to be back to 2-2 again. back to long Beep at
    Post again. as long as i leave B1 empty then my system starts fine.. motherboard manual says i have to have a card in
    A1 and B1 for duel channel to work--- right now i only got 2gb showing on start up page.

looked at System Device Manager and found a funny thing. no yellow markers shown but
    -----all my Nvidia nForce Ware slots show "no driver installed for this device".
    but under the "driver tab" each shows the driver name and version listed. driver update wizard for each said "the correct driver
    software program was installed". ran "scan for hardware changes" --- found nothing.
    here is list ---Direct Memory Access Controller, High Precision Event Timer, nForce Memory Controller listed twice,
    Numeric data Processor, Nvidia nForce PCI System Management, PCI Standard RAM Controller listed 17 times,
    Programmable Interrupt Controller, System Timer.
    all with no driver installed but driver name and version listed under driver tab.

did go to Nvidia and run their motherboard driver tool. downloaded recommend program and after install and reboot
    no changes.

is my B1 ram slot problem a side effect of hinky windows/os over time or is it just my motherboard dying of old age??
    power supply old age??
    should i do a complete clean reinstall of Vista??
    ran Repair from my OEM disk which says no repairs needed.

build data----
    P5N-D ASUS motherboard
    250GB Western Digital (blue) SATA HD (No-Raid)
    Intel (socket 775) Core Duo 8400 CPU
    Nvidia DDR3 8800GT GPU
    OCZ DDR2 800mhz RAM running at 2GB at present time
    OCZ 850 watt Power Supply
    Vista OS
    i built system in 1998 with no major problems until now.
    replaced 1 DVD drive and 1 Viewsonic monitor---both quit working :eek: over last few years
    sorry about the edit have new DVD drive and monitor for awhile

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

You have a bad stick of RAM. Slot sounds like it is OK. Are you having other problems with the computer other than just what you see in Device Manager?

3. jamesx121

jamesx121 Thread Starter

i thought my ram cards were good
    i can put either card in slot A1 and pc will start up fine with just one card in the motherboard
    Ive tried both cards in slot B1 and get long Post Beep
    i can put other card in A2 and system will start up but motherboard manual says A2 only runs at a
    single channel rate without a card in B1
    A1 & A2 filled/ B1 & B2 empty- = single channel

4. black-wolf

black-wolf

Ok, I misunderstood your original post. The slot is bad have you tried A2 and B2?

5. black-wolf

black-wolf

Some mobos will work using the A2 and B2 slots and still give you DDR and some won't. Your manual isn't clear on that.
    There is no fix for the bad slot, either new mobo or new computer.

6. jamesx121

jamesx121 Thread Starter

black-wolf
    I looked on Google-- P5N-D seem to run from 190$ to over 300$
    only decent price seemed to be 90$ out of China (e-bay seller in China) which I am leary of ????
    NewEgg and TigerDirect no longer carry them---
    back in 1998 did I buy a non main stream motherboard. at the time I thought ASUS was a good choice
    and this was at a decent price.. why are they now so high for being outdated?????

7. black-wolf

black-wolf

That is what happens when they become outdated. ASUS is one of the best boards on the market, but technology has changed. You would be better off buying a new board, CPU and RAM.

8. jamesx121

jamesx121 Thread Starter

black-wolf
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS Item #: N82E16813131790
    for the price I am willing to spend this seems to be what I have found in the ASUS line up
    any other good places to look at other than New Egg or TigerDirect
    my parts list is now over 600 bucks for CPU, MOBO, PWS, RAM
    haven't looked at harddrives yet HHD or SSD ???? full size case is still good.
    looking at I5 2005K 3.3 CPU
    does this make more sense for around same amount?? 207$ at NewEgg

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    on a side note--- what do you gain by spending over 300$ on a MOBO ?????

all most forgot --- will 2nd gen I5 work with these 2 boards or do I need 3rd gen I5 ???

9. black-wolf

black-wolf

I usually end up buying everything from Newegg. Can't beat their prices. The only other place is a Micro Center, but they won't ship CPU's and the closest one to you would be Atlanta.
    2nd gen works with the Z77 boards. If you're not overclocking a straight 2500 will save you a few bucks over the 2500K.

The expensive mobos are for overclocking, an ASUS or Gigabyte mobo for around $150 should be fine.

SSD's are fast but expensive. I have my OS on a 60gb and a 1tb HDD for everything else. HDD's Western Digital black or RE, they are very good and have a longer warranty.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice