1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad Memory???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toddles18, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toddles18

Toddles18 Thread Starter

OK, I have two 256mb pc133 sdram sticks, one came with the computer and one I bought from tigerdirect. I added the stck from tiger direct and then was browsing through Norton utilities and saw the memory tester. I ran it and was dismayed when it said my memory had errors, I took out the stick I just bought and tried again, this time no problems. Then I saw a thread on here about another memory tester and decided to try it to see if maybe it was just norton. I downloaded the program from simmtester.com, it had me create a bootable floppy, and then I restarted. I ran the burn in test because it was supposed to be the best one. Well, after 12 hours, and 46 loops without any errors I decided that was enough, so now I ask you, is it possible that norton was wrong, or is simmtester wrong? Should I continue using the stick in question or should I take it out? Thanks in advance everybody.

2. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hmmmm,

Did the simmtester site say it tested Dimms? IMHO, if under warrenty, send it back.

3. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Right click on My Computer then click on Properties. Click on the performance tab and see how much ram it is showing that you have. If it is showing 512 meg installed (might be less if you are using a video card that uses conventional memory). Norton has shown misreadings before with this program. Hope this helps. :)

PS As long as it is showing 512 meg and you can tell a difference in speed and productivity I don't think there is anything wrong with the RAM you purchased.

4. fireboy69

fireboy69

You didn't mention what kind of processor or motherboard that you have. Some of the older motherboards, i.e. Slot 1, are only expandable to 384 megs, regardless of the number of Dimm slots available.

5. dk

dk

I ran into a problem with one of my dimms a 32mb stick along with my 128 it would throw a registry error, I took it out and rebooted 3 times just to see if it would throw another one, hasn't done it since, I have also heard that it will sometimes throw blue screens when a stick starts to die.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice