Bad Mobo wont run windows?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chovy

After building a new computer with a used ASRock P4v88 Motherboard I found that instalation of Win Xp was always haulted by a blue error screen. I switched hard drives and practically every other component and no luck. I installed Xp on a freinds PC using my HDD and it worked great there. When I put the HDD back in mine it will now boot up to the Starting Xp screen with the Scrolling bar and then go black and reboot.

Is the motherboard bad?

Chovy

I tried to use another XP Rom and a different Hard Drive (just for kicks) and it still wont install properly. Ill try the repair but I doubt it will work becouse Im sure its hardware related. Then again . . . .
Anyway, appreciate the help and I will soon try to post the error code

Could you explain in a little more detail how you are trying to install windows.

Chovy

Certainly, but what do you mean. I have an XP Professional CD that I received from my dad. Im trying to install this. Are there many ways in which to install it?

I mean the process you do to load windows. I am trying to find if you are installing windows correctly.

Chovy

Well, Ill have to start again to tell but my memory is something like this.

I boot to the disk and the setup loads. First is the blue setup thing in which it asks me to hit F6 to install stuff like Raid Drivers. It progresses to windows install thing with the bullets that go green when it progresses.

If your asking about the drive format I think I did the full FAT32 (?) Not sure, is that important.

If you cant tell, this is the first time Ive installed an OS from scratch.

Chovy

This might be of use. In wanting to answer your questions, I tried to restep the install process, but instead booted to the HDD whith XP from my freinds computer and it booted all the way into windows.
It took a while to display the toolbar and all but it did. Then it did a warm boot back to were it was and it displayed "Windows has recoverd from a Seriouse Error" or something to that affect.
It then froze and wont respond to anything.

Is this just what Norton850 said happens when you do the Drive Swap?

Chovy said:
Well, Ill have to start again to tell but my memory is something like this.

I boot to the disk and the setup loads. First is the blue setup thing in which it asks me to hit F6 to install stuff like Raid Drivers. It progresses to windows install thing with the bullets that go green when it progresses.

If your asking about the drive format I think I did the full FAT32 (?) Not sure, is that important.

If you cant tell, this is the first time Ive installed an OS from scratch.
So far so good, but you need to format with ntfs not fat 32.

Chovy

Perhaps I did do the NTFS.
But if it was installed wrong would it get all the way to Windows and stop?

I tried to repair install but I dont get the prompt to do a repair. Mine only lets me delete and start over.

If you have set the hard drive to master and set cd to boot first it should load.
Is the windows XP disc a genuine retail copy?

Chovy

Its a genuine corperate edition. It will be used in the office. Most people wouldnt believe me.

Chovy said:
Its a genuine corperate edition. It will be used in the office. Most people wouldnt believe me.
Is the disk a retail disk, an OEM disk, or a recovery disk for another system? :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online