1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad Mobo wont run windows?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chovy, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chovy

Chovy Thread Starter

After building a new computer with a used ASRock P4v88 Motherboard I found that instalation of Win Xp was always haulted by a blue error screen. I switched hard drives and practically every other component and no luck. I installed Xp on a freinds PC using my HDD and it worked great there. When I put the HDD back in mine it will now boot up to the Starting Xp screen with the Scrolling bar and then go black and reboot.

Is the motherboard bad?

2. norton850

norton850

When you take a hard drive with WinXP on it and put it in another system like you are doing you will get the problem that you are having. Now it appears you may something else going on also, but what I would do at this point is boot up from your WinXP CD and use the second repair option.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

3. buckfan1

buckfan1

What error code are you getting? It could be hardware related or heat related.

4. Chovy

Chovy Thread Starter

I tried to use another XP Rom and a different Hard Drive (just for kicks) and it still wont install properly. Ill try the repair but I doubt it will work becouse Im sure its hardware related. Then again . . . .
    Anyway, appreciate the help and I will soon try to post the error code

5. bigbear

bigbear

Could you explain in a little more detail how you are trying to install windows.

6. Chovy

Chovy Thread Starter

Certainly, but what do you mean. I have an XP Professional CD that I received from my dad. Im trying to install this. Are there many ways in which to install it?

7. bigbear

bigbear

I mean the process you do to load windows. I am trying to find if you are installing windows correctly.

8. Chovy

Chovy Thread Starter

Well, Ill have to start again to tell but my memory is something like this.

I boot to the disk and the setup loads. First is the blue setup thing in which it asks me to hit F6 to install stuff like Raid Drivers. It progresses to windows install thing with the bullets that go green when it progresses.

If your asking about the drive format I think I did the full FAT32 (?) Not sure, is that important.

If you cant tell, this is the first time Ive installed an OS from scratch.

9. Chovy

Chovy Thread Starter

This might be of use. In wanting to answer your questions, I tried to restep the install process, but instead booted to the HDD whith XP from my freinds computer and it booted all the way into windows.
    It took a while to display the toolbar and all but it did. Then it did a warm boot back to were it was and it displayed "Windows has recoverd from a Seriouse Error" or something to that affect.
    It then froze and wont respond to anything.

Is this just what Norton850 said happens when you do the Drive Swap?

10. bigbear

bigbear

So far so good, but you need to format with ntfs not fat 32.

11. Chovy

Chovy Thread Starter

Perhaps I did do the NTFS.
    But if it was installed wrong would it get all the way to Windows and stop?

I tried to repair install but I dont get the prompt to do a repair. Mine only lets me delete and start over.

12. bigbear

bigbear

If you have set the hard drive to master and set cd to boot first it should load.
    Is the windows XP disc a genuine retail copy?

13. Chovy

Chovy Thread Starter

Its a genuine corperate edition. It will be used in the office. Most people wouldnt believe me.

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

Is the disk a retail disk, an OEM disk, or a recovery disk for another system? :confused:

15. bigbear

bigbear

You say it a used board, try clearing the cmos and then try reinstalling

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice