1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad MoBo ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roupcat, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roupcat

roupcat Thread Starter

I have a Compaq 4400US and a dark screen on the monitor. Power supply was bad and I wonder if it destroyed the motherboard. Monitor is good, memory is good, tryed three diff. power supplies. CDRW lite comes on and door works-power on lite comes on but power on switch will not turn it on or off ( must unplug to turn on and off) Tested switch and it's good. Where could I find a replacement mobo with a 370 socket? Too old for Newegg?

2. roupcat

roupcat Thread Starter

How can I confirm that the motherboard is bad? It visually looks good.

3. brite750

brite750

kind of tough without known working parts to swap out, look at the troubleshooting post near the top of this forum

4. brite750

brite750

besides your problem is much more complex than a MB, you would have to find the exact same MB for your pc for it to work, your bios is tied into the operating system on that Compaq unless you have reformated and installed a retail copy of Windows

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have tried a known good pw supply, the only other thing would be the cpu or ram. You posted the memory is good. How did you test it?

Next most big box companies ie compaq, hp, dell, etc use proprietary boards. You cannot just install any atx board in a compaq case and expect it to work. It most likely will not line up with pci slots, etc. Most of the time it must be a compaq replacement board OR you can install the rest of your parts into a new atx case. Then you can use a standard atx board.

Something that old [socket 370] is not worth putting much money into. Unless you can find a compaq replacement board on something like ebay for a few dollars, I would not waste the time.

6. brite750

brite750

if i were you I would build a whole new budget pc, it would be ten time faster than your old 370 socket
    I saw a AMD 754 socket cpu for $15, brand new, MB maybe $50, ram $25, you could probably reuse your hdd and opticals

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice