1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bad onboard video?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by professorxox, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. professorxox

professorxox Thread Starter

Just got winfast motherboard/amd athlon 64 3000. Installed win ME and not a minute goes by that the whole turns to colored lines. Every time i reboot this happens. Installed and reinstalled drivers but still the same. My question is...if i have onboard video...can i install a video card and will it override the onboard video?

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yes you can install a video card. Do you have an AGP slot is the bigger question?
    On some boards you have to disable onboard in the bios, on others the video card is picked up automatically.

Do you have an AGP slot?

3. professorxox

yes, i have an agp slot. What's weird is...that I just swapped the harddrive from my old system into the new winfast/athlon 64 3000 mobo/cpu combo and it was fine for a day after I installed the drivers. The next day, i used the same hd to test an old system and when i replaced it back to my new system, that's when the problem started. I removed all the old drivers and rebooted. eVen reinstalled windows. But all that wouldn't fix the video problem. Boots up fine, then a minute goes by and the whole screen just turns to different colored lines.

I was told that if the onboard video was bad...then I wouldn't even see anything on the monitor from the beginning. But maybe the onboard video is just slightly damaged?

Could it be that the motherboard is made especially for xp? IF that's the case..then why was it working fine for one whole day?

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Hmm, That is wierd.
    Do you have a card you could stick in it to test it with? I would guess that if you were going to use the onboard that just about any card would do be it AGP or PCI. I wouldn't want you to go buy a card if we aren't sure that it is the problem.

5. professorxox

thanks,
    I'm going to try to install xp home edition today. Hopefully it's just o/s compatibility problems and not the onboard video. By the way....A friend is letting me use his original xp home edition cd...Is it NECESSARY to register online? If i don't will it stop working after 30days?

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yes,and yes. XP needs activated, if not it will lock you out.

7. professorxox

thanks...what about if i was to install xp pro...will i need to register online also, or would i just need a serial number?

8. professorxox

Well....my computer is finally running stable...video seems ok ..maybe i shouldn't jinx it. Running for two days now. Pretty sure it was the IDE/PIDE cable that i replaced. Don't know why i even swapped it in the first place but it's working now, and that's all that matters, right? ;-) Thank you everyone for the replies!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice