1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad Product Key upgrading from xp home to xp pro?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pete_c12, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pete_c12

pete_c12 Thread Starter

I'm trying to upgrade to Windows XP Professional Edition from XP Home Edition, but I can't get past the part of the installation where you are asked to enter the Product Key for your copy of Windows. Every time I enter the Product Key from the sticker on the underside of my laptop, it tells me that it is invalid. I've entered it millions of times, going left to right as well as right to left just to make sure it's not a mental slip, so I'm sure that I'm entering what's on the sticker. So my question is: where do I go from here? I've tried using several different programs that scan your registry for the Product Key, but those keys were invalid too. Should I contact the manufacturer to see if they made a mistake with the sticker? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. - Pete

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

The XP Pro requires a different key than the Home that came with your PC

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Use the COA key that came with the XP Pro disc . . assuming it has not been used on another pc?

wrs

4. doggard

doggard

You are entering the XP Home registration number.You need to enter the serial number provided with the XP Pro CD which you purchased then register it with MS within 30 days of installation or it will become inoperable.

5. pete_c12

pete_c12 Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the advice. Stupid questions are in fact the easiest to answer.

6. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy pete c12, You can also contact Microsoft support site and tell them of your problem and they can contact you by email. They are quite helpful.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice