1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad RAM? mobo? or both?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pschan, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pschan

pschan Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am trying to help a friend with a Compaq Presario 2500 laptop. I am not quite sure what is going on here. The computer will not boot windows, it just keeps restarting itself. I went into the BIOS and the amount of memory that it sees is 128 MB. There are 2X256 sticks, one that came with the laptop and the other is an upgrade(Kingston ValueRam PC2700). I downloaded Memtest-86 v.3.2 onto a CD and I am running it. everything above 128MB is failing. Now what is strange is that if I switch the placement of the two memory sticks, everything is fine. If only the Kingston stick is left in, no matter which slot it is in, everything is fine. When the original stick is in the inside slot (slot nearest the centre of the laptop) by itself, the computer does nothing at startup, the monitor shows nothing, doesn't even flicker. When it is in the other slot, everything is fine. I can only get Memtest to detect errors when both sticks are plugged in and the original is on the inside. Anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong? If it's the original RAM why does it only detect 128 MB but then why does it work in the other slot? If it's the mobo, why doesn't it do that with the Kingston ram?

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

If I switch the placement of the two memory sticks every thing is fine,per your statement. So what is the problem?

3. pschan

pschan Thread Starter

Well I guess I didn't mention that it just seems to be working. I have no idea if it just works temporarily or what. I don't know if it will stop working sometime in the future. Just because it works with the memory in different slots doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with it b/c there obviously is.

4. jjdunn01

jjdunn01

From past experience some manufacturers RAM just won't work for unkown reasons. Check with the MoBo manufaturer to see if there is any problem.

Normally if the system won't boot up it's a BIOS problem. The BIOS may have an "issue" witht he RAM. It it was a hardware problem you'd here a beep code

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

It seems pretty obvious the added ram is not compatible. Check the configurator at
    www.kingston.com to see if yor motheboard is compatible with that model #.

6. pschan

pschan Thread Starter

if the ram was incompatible, would the computer work?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

It depends, it might work somewhat with some bizarre errors and it might not boot up at all, I think we have all see many different options for that.

8. pschan

pschan Thread Starter

well the computer has been working for three years up to this point, I also talked to my friend, she said that the person who sold her the computer sold her that stick of ram (the kingston) at the time that she bought the computer, apparently that salesperson or tech didn't know anything about compatibility

9. pschan

pschan Thread Starter

well, now i'm sure the original ram is toast, it won't boot up now when it's in either slot....problem solved, thanks for the help, gonna get my friend some new ram, that's compatible

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice