1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad seagate drive? Need some help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Camlax38, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Camlax38

Camlax38 Thread Starter

I bought a 1 TB barracuda seagate drive about 4-5 months ago. My wife recently alerted me to a warning windows 7 popped up saying that the drive was failing and I should back everything up on the drive (I haven't been home much lately, been sequestered away studying).

I use the drive for media (movies, pictures, music, etc) and have 3 other HD's on the computer (all maxtors). 1 running the OS, 1 I run games from and 1 that back up images and files too.

I ran a scan on the drive with windows (strangely seatools isn't detecting any of my maxtor drives or the seagate ones :confused:) and it did not note anything wrong with it. So I downloaded HD tune pro (the trial) and took a look at the drive. Under Reallocated sector count it shows 30 bad, 30 as the minimum (before it sets of the alarm? I am not sure minimum what), and 36 as threshold (again not sure what threshold is for). The status is listed as 'failed' and it says 2882 damaged sectors that have been replaced. HD tune pro's advice is the drive is imminently going to fail.

I've had the displeasure of losing hard drives before. This drive isn't acting anything like a drive with hardware errors. It isn't sluggish. Files on it weren't corrupted. It wasn't making funny noises, etc So was thinking this might be some kind of logical error and not an actual hardware fault?

So I zerofilled the drive last night and ran a chkdsk /r on it today. The chkdsk shows 0 bad sectors. However the HD tune pro still shows 2882 sectors having been bad and replaced. Does that mean it still has bad sectors? Or will that be "written" into the SMART and always show up on the drive from now on? How can I tell if the drive is safe to go back to using?

I know drives come with some bad sectors on them already, could it just be that this one had a lot of bad sectors to start with? If so what is the consequence of that, does it mean the drive will have a shorter life? Should I argue with Seagate and get them to replace the drive or is it okay to use now?

Thanks for any help

2. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

I had the same problem yesterday.
    Error on screen said "Failing."

I booted with the Seagate Dos test cd.

Didn't even run - just said "Bad - Replace."

I transferred some files and figured I would do the rest in the morning - in the morning the computer would not even recognize the drive.

I installed it in a different computer - same deal.

BTW - Seagate will not argue with you - they are very amenable to replacement.

Back up what you can NOW and call Seagate and get an RMA to replace.

1-800-Seagate.

3. BPCS

BPCS

Www.ultimatebootcd.com has many manufacturer HDD tools in it. If you test it with that you will know for sure if it's failing or not. I see alot of HDD's and WD seems to have the lowest failure rate, I use them whenever possible. Soory I missed some of your post, I consider any drive with 15-25 bad sectors 'bad' and on it's way to the grave yard. Backup the data and grab a new drive as PSC suggests.

4. Camlax38

Camlax38 Thread Starter

So 2882 is way too many bad sectors? Does this mean the drive came faulty with too many bad sectors already written onto it? Cause it doesn't seem to be getting worse and like I said its not doing any of the soon to fail drive type of things.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

It shouldn't have any at that age. Chances are good that more will appear when you run another test.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice