1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad sector HDDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by winpc, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

Picked up x2 sata 3.5" HDDs from ebay, x1 160gb Seagate, x1 320gb WD.

Both drives appear to be faulty when I tried to wipe them with Killdisk, loads off bad sectors and the process stalled.

Tried one of the drives with HDD Regenerator and it just flagged up all bad sectors from the start.

Anyone know how to bring them back to life?

2. valis

valis Moderator

first thing I would do is to run the seagate diagnostic on them.

3. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

No go with the manufacturer's software sadly - it advised returning the drives under warranty.

2nd hand of ebay, got at full refund from the seller so I dismantled the drives and ground the surfaces with my powerfile destroy any data.

4. valis

valis Moderator

that will do it too, I guess.

5. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

No ferrite layer on the platter's surface, no data.

I was once told by local PC recycling company that they had a machine that ground the entire platter to powder.

6. valis

valis Moderator

Yup. It is spooky how much data remains, even after something like a zero fill like dban uses. And thats DOD certed, I think.

7. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

From what you say I presume you've actually recovered data after a DBAN wipe ?

Years ago I watched a documentary where folk had thrown their old PCs out with hard drive still in.

The documentary makers had gone to an Asian country, recovered some of these PCs, taken out the drives, extracted data and gone to the homes of the ex PC owners and shocked the hell out them with such as bank account details.

8. valis

valis Moderator

God no, that stuff is waaay above my paygrade. I did see some show years ago where some guy took his hd out, removed everything but the platens, drilled a few 5/8 in holes in them, tied it to his bumper, and drove to the studio. Some tech (still pretty sure he was gubmint) pulled a LOT of data off. In about an hour.

Spooky. At a previous job dban wasn't allowed, even though it was dod-m certed. We had to shred/melt the platens.

9. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

Shredding or melting the platters down is certainly the ultimate.

Including the two I've just destroyed, I've had to dismantle and destroy four hard drives.

Hitachi Deskstar x2, the platters were ferrite coated glass platters which simply smashed in to bits.
    Socket out of a mechanic's socket set placed over the platter arbor and hit with a hammer.

The Seagate and WD ones I've just destroyed had ferrite coated aluminium platters so once the ferrite coating was ground off - job done - aluminium can't be magnetized.

10. vembutech

vembutech Banned

11. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

Many thanks for the link vembutech, it will make interesting reading.

I suspect however that the bad sectors on the two HDDs I recently destroyed were due to faulty controller cards. I tried HDD Regenerator on both drives with Scan Only mode and both times it flagged up all bad sectors form the start.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice