1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad Sector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by otmir, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. otmir

otmir Thread Starter

my 40gb hard drive has developed bad sectors. how can I get rid of these bad sectors? please guide me

2. mobo

mobo

You could try scandisk or checkdisk first but if they don't work you may have to try something a bit more powerful like re formatting the drive by writing zeroes to it..

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try running scandisk.......

However, back up anything that is important, usually bad sectors keep multiplying.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's been my experience that when you start developing bad sectors on the typical IDE disk, it's time to shop for the replacement. :)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A 40Gig still probably has warranty on it. Generally its 1 or 3 years. You have to download a diagnostic utility from the HDD manufacturer and run it - if it comes up with an error code you can use that to return the drive.

6. otmir

otmir Thread Starter

Dear Motherboard. I am going to reformat my hard drive but let me know what you mean by writing zeroes on it? regards,omar

7. ~Candy~

Download the manufacturer's diagnostic utilities from their website, install it to floppy disk, then boot up with that. You should see the options on it.

8. mobo

mobo

9. Romulus

Romulus

There is also another solution, but I'm not sure of the consequenses of it. I would repartition the disk using PartitionMagic and leave the bad sectors outside any partition.

Like..
    |First drive |bad sectors (grey)|Second drive|maybe some other bad sectors|

and so on.
    If it's only a couple of bad sectors I feel like it's a pity letting a 40 Gb disk going to waste like that.
    I did it to a 6 Gb disk with some physical damage on 40 Mb and simply just removed them. Been using same disk for 3 years and it's still kickin' ;)

10. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

First back up your drive.
    Scandisk, or Norton Disk Doctor, with a surface scan will mark the bad sectors so that they are not used. They will also attempt to move the data in those sectors to good ones.
    You can attempt to recover them with a switch on the Format command

Order a new disk

11. kracknuts

kracknuts

my hdd is goin bad too :(

i formatted an old hdd that had bad sectors and did not have problems for a while untill i filled it up and had about 375mb left on the hdd when the hdd started making long funny noises and make the system very slow or crash it. Looks like this developed bad sectors that i tried to fix wif scan disk but that crashed and i had to turn the power off which prolly caused more bad sectors. now it seems to have gone worse first windows freezes and takes ages to load now its not loadin at all i get this message : type the name of the command interpreter

think some windows file is corrupt :S prolly gonna have to format
    wat can i do so that it doesnt happen again?
    it looks as if the bad sectors are getting worse or multiplyin eeek

oh my specs r

quantum bigfoot cy4320A 4.02 Gb as primary master
    amd k6 200mhz
    win 98

12. ~Candy~

The forums were down for almost two days, so you may have already seen my reply, but since replies were lost, I'll post again.

You can reformat until the cows come home, but the fact of the matter is the drive is dying ;)

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Bad sectors showing up out of the blue are a very bad sign! AcaCandy is right, you're wasting your time. Backup and buy a new drive, that one's toast! :D

14. kracknuts

kracknuts

:S guess ur right

i cant even back up my files now.. tried shovin drive in other comp to save my files but causes it not to respond when readin the drive.

wata waste...might cry...nah ill try not to...waahhhhhh :'(

15. ~Candy~

Just for fun, you might try the freezer trick in a plastic bag, it may give you enough time to get your files off before it heats up again....also DO check on the warranty.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice