1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad sectors HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faiz, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Need help!

Operating system Win 98
    HDD 8.4 gb

I have partitioned my Hdd equally all my program files are on the C' drive and my Games are on the D' drive, recently my Hdd has developed Bad Sectors only on the D' drive and on regular bootup the computer asks for a scan disk thus i have disabled the scan disk at startup. I have installed Norton utilities and marked all the bad sectors.
    My questions are -

1. Are bad sectors repairable ?

2. Since the D' drive is affected , can it in any way affect my C'drive ?

3. Since the bad sectors are marked , is it possible to write to the D' drive , will the matter that I save on the D' drive get corrupted in any way ? Will the programs run allright , do the programs save themselves on the clean part of the disk automatically?

4. Is there any prevention or maintainance that can be done to prevent this from happening ?

5. Last but not the least how much more longer for the hard drive to go BOOM ??

A lot of questions , hope I have made it as clear as possible.
    please advise

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

faiz
    Bad or damaged sectors occur through normal read/write use as the drive ages. Windows Scandisk as well as Norton Disk Doctor
    are very good at recovering these damaged areas with minimal
    problems. When drives are manufactured the manufacturer check the drives and replaces bad areas per this Article.
    You should routinely run a through Scandisk or Norton Disc doctor to identify and repair these areas so they can be used or permanently marked for no use. As your drive ages the storage media will eventually wear to the point that its reliability is suspect. Think of it as a CDRW disc being used over and over and over. Eventually it will not be reliable. Running the disk utilities routinely will alert you to the fact that there is an increasing number of bad sectors found which will alert you to possible problems with that drive. Unless you have an unusually high number of errors occurring I would not jump and say the drive is dying. Drives are pretty reliable and can go through many read/write cycles before they wear out. Chances are a mechanical failure would happen before that.
    As far as "d" affecting "c" there is no link between the two in the respect of bad sectors.
    Hope that helps.
    Dave

3. Rockn

Rockn

1. Bad sectors are not repairable, you can only mark them and the OS will ignore them.

2. It has effected your C: drive since it is essentially the same drive with different partition on the same physical disk.

3. Refer to #1

4. No, the drive will go bad eventually.

5. No way to tell, but like I said it will go eventually and there is no way of telling when. It seems like it is already on the road to self destruction, so do regular backups and be ready for the inevitable.

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

I suggest buying a new hard drive now before you start to encounter data corruption (if you haven't already).

5. hernandez3674

hernandez3674

I had the same happen to me . Eventually it like having cancer. Get a new drive before its too late. The ticking sound from my drive drove me nuts.

6. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Thank you all so much

The response was very quick and appropriate.

7. motocross95

motocross95

hehe uh oh, maybe that ticking sound that I had wasn't a good thing after all. hehe, yeah a while ago my HD made a ticking noice. I restarted and it went a while before it did it again. But now I believe something is wrong with the drive, but it still works.

8. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

It still works for now. Eventually (maybe very soon) you could lose data and/or the computer will fail to boot. You should replace it now regardless of whether or not it appears to be working.

9. motocross95

motocross95

well I have two drives so if one quits I can just use the other

10. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Then use the other now, and get rid of the one that's failing. By the time it completely fails, you'll probably lose some data. If you don't have any data on the computer you care about, however, then it's not a big deal to keep using it. Keep in mind that the data can get corrupted which would mean backups of that data would be worthless as well.

11. motocross95

motocross95

good thinking. How would I figure out which HD is the bad one though? Once I figure that out I think I'll just make a few backups then continue to use it until the end. I mean I bought it to use it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!