1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad User?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jdock, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdock

jdock Thread Starter

Is it possible for a user to go bad? Here is my situation, I have 3 users: Jerry, Jerry 2, Admin. Jerry is where I do all my work. Jerry 2 is a user I created for some reason and I don’t remember why. Admin is the administrator user I rarely use. I’m having trouble in Jerry that does not occur in the other users. Here are some examples:
    · The computer freezes and I reboot several times a day.
    · I have a game that gets a ‘Script Error’ in Jerry but not in other users.
    · I cannot sync my iPhone with Outlook. I have spent hours with Apple on the phone to no avail. I cannot access Outlook from another user to see if that user works.
    Over time Jerry has most of the stuff I use daily. Is there any way to transfer stuff from one user to another?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, users go bad; one of the main reasons our jails and prisons are so full. In fact, many people would define a drug user as bad to begin with. :p:D

But you really want to talk about User Accounts, right? Yes, a User Account profile can get corrupted ("go bad').

And, yes, you can copy stuff (files and folders) from one profile to another.

I would probably reinstall the operating system and start fresh, but other folks have successfully just defined another user account, copied data from the old, and then removed the old account eventually.

3. jdock

jdock Thread Starter

OK, that is what I wanted to hear, however, I am unsure how to transfer from one user to another.
    I have always found the wall between users impenetrable. I tried to copy something in one user and could not paste in another user.

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    In theory a single user could go bad, especially a standard user, without the others being affected. As far as moving things goes, it is possible, but you'll need to be careful not to transfer the problems.

You can edit the file permisions to allow another user to move files (documents, music, etc) out of that userspace. the easiest way to unlock it is to try to open the folder with the admin account; I prefer using the Security tab in Properties.
    I would run a virus scan first, from a healthy account against Jerry, to see if that might be what's causing the problem.
    Take care if you try to copy the user registry file (HKCU) or application data folder as that may migrate the problems.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I thought I typed faster than that, TerryNet. :) Sorry, I lost internet access for a few minutes after typing my response, hence the late post.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Copying to another user should fail, unless that user has set permissions for you to write. Try copying from another user to the one you are currently logged it as. There may still be read permission issues for some folders, but they can be overcome.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No reason to be sorry, Ent. I'm usually the one who posts late, so I appreciate being first occasionally. :) Beside, you gave more and better info than I did.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice