1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad wifi upstairs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pazoruk, Jan 15, 2020 at 9:26 AM.

Advertisement
  1. pazoruk

pazoruk Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I have really bad wifi upstairs but I do have a PC with wired ethernet also upstairs. I was thinking is there a dongle etc I could purchase to turn my PC into a hotspot allowing other devices to connect by wifi and use my PC's connectivity.
    My PC is running windows 10 and has no wifi card etc built-in.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 9:38 AM
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, you could get a USB wireless adapter or, if you have a spare slot, a PCI or PCIe wireless card. It's a neat solution for occasional use but gets old pretty fast for frequent use. Better would be to get a wireless access point since you already have the ethernet available.

3. pazoruk

pazoruk Thread Starter

Thanks for the info :) When you say USB wireless adaptor when I google this obviously it finds loads and they seem to be to make my PC connect to a wireless network, will they also work the other way and pump a wifi signal out or is there a specific thing I need to google.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have Windows 10 ; I cannot make any prediction about how that version will work.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A Range Extender is a bad idea when you have a better option (Wireless Access Point connected by ethernet).

7. pazoruk

pazoruk Thread Starter

Hello, How would I use a Wireless access point, As ive mentioned I have a PC upstairs with a Ethernet cable running up the stairs and into the PC. When I've looked for a Wireless access point they seem to have only one Ethernet input and no outputs, If I plug the cable upstairs into this what would I plug into my PC to allow internet? I would have wonderful wireless upstairs but I'm confused how I would content the PC to the network.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If no WAPs also have ethernet ports then you can get a small ethernet switch (example) to connect multiple devices to the ethernet cable coming upstairs. Note that in spite of what that description for the example given says it is not an ethernet splitter; it is an ethernet switch.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice