1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad Windows 10 start after Full Creators update 1709

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pcasanel, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcasanel

pcasanel Thread Starter

After installing Full Creators update 1709 in Windows 10 64 bit Prof. in the laptop HP EliteBook 8540w, the logon screen appears without the text box where to enter the password. Only after about half an hour appears this text box and Windows 10 can be started. We have returned to the previous update and installed again the 1709 update, but the problem appears again.

[Moreover this update marks the checkbox labeled "turn on fast startup" (in: Power Options, choose what the power button does, change settings that are currently unavailable), which prevents Windows 10 to shut down.]

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a HP EliteBook 8540w Mobile WorkStation which original came with a version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    Its "Software And Drivers" section has no drivers for Windows 10 (or Windows 8.1), so that means HP never tested and approved it to run Windows 10.
    However, that doesn't mean it doesn't support or can't run Windows 10.

You didn't say if you're using Windows 10's built-in antivirus app or if you're using a third-party antivirus app.
    Windows 10 doesn't do well in some computers that use a third-party antivirus app, especially when it comes time to install updates or upgrades.

Trying to upgrade from an older Version/OS Build to a newer one also doesn't go well in some computers.
    When this happens, doing a clean install of the new Version/OS Build is usually the best option.
    That's one reason why I always create a bootable install disc right after a new Version/OS Build is released.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Try hitting enter or click mouse when welcome screen is shown and it should display the password login

4. pcasanel

pcasanel Thread Starter

Thanks for your ideas. I have the Microsoft antivirus installed. Of course I have hit Enter and clicked the mouse many times when the welcome screen is shown, but without any success.

Three questions: 1. If I go back to previous Windows update, can I prevent Windows from trying to install the Full Creators update 1709?
    2. If I decide do to a clean install of Windows 10 Full Crators Udate, where can I download it?
    3. Since I upgraded free from Windows 7, should I pay now for a license of Windows 10?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you already have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 SP1 installed and activated in your computer, a clean install of Windows 10 should automatically activate.
    There's no need for you to purchase a license for it.

I did a clean install today of Windows 10 Pro "Fall Creators Update" (Version 1709 OS Build 16299) 64-bit in a computer that was running Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit.
    After the install process was complete and I had an active internet connection, it automatically activated.

If you go HERE to download and save the Media Creation Tool, you can run it afterwards to download and save the appropriate Windows 10 .ISO file.
    After that's done, you burn a disc image of that file to create a bootable install DVD.
    After that's done, you use that DVD to do a clean install of Windows 10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

pcasanel likes this.
  6. pcasanel

pcasanel Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your instructions. Since it seems that I will not be able to repair my Windows 10, I will do as you suggest.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice