1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bad xp cd?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by egokillar, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. egokillar

egokillar Thread Starter

i just wanna know if a bad xp cd when installed can make most programs not install, (getting errors while trying to install) making internet browsers crash and blue screen of death? forget the hardware and everything else, it is checked and is completely new, i just wanna know if a bad windows xp cd can cause these problems? thank you.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not generally. A bad CD would not install properly. The files are carefully checked during installation so that no corrupt files are possible. Were there any errors during installation?

It sounds more like malware or hardware.

3. egokillar

egokillar Thread Starter

oh just had a bsod after posting quick reply, firefox crashed and it gave me bsod. i had a disk error, but tried using the other cd drive and that worked. but ive had that before, and started with installing on the good drive and it still gives me all kinds of error. can you tell me, every hardware is new, everything, but tthe problems is still there? how can it magically transfer? the only thing thats not new is graphics card, and can that give me software installation errors, browser crashes and bsod?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What BSOD error?

RAM is a high possibility.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

5. egokillar

egokillar Thread Starter

ANOTHER bsod while typing reply. its not my hardware mate, this happened on completely different setup as well. im at the point of trying ridiculous fixes, can it be my power cord, my internet cable...? lol i can just ensemble the old setup since the problem is on this and that may work. lol stupid computer crap.

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

I'd suspect power supply and/or ram.

7. egokillar

egokillar Thread Starter

hardware is new. got the psu today. happened on different sustem with different ram. thanks for the replies so far. this is ridiculous man.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Power cords and cables are "hardware", too. What is the error? The BSOD is in existence to tell you what the error is so you can fix it.

9. Bernardo

Bernardo

New power supplies can still have an issue.

Per chance, can you test your incoming power from the wall with a volt meter?

10. egokillar

egokillar Thread Starter

just changed my graphics card, the last thing i can change and i still got a bsod. i stopped bothering about them long ago because they're all different bsods with different error codes suggestion everything is wrong. thousands of dollars right out of the window on the hardware :) just changed my power sockect and put my cables in that, awaiting another bsod. lalalalala.

11. egokillar

egokillar Thread Starter

after uninstalling nvidia 197.45 driver it seems stable. can a graphics driver cause bsods, browser crashes, software installation errors and freezes?

12. Bernardo

Bernardo

13. valis

valis Moderator

you may want to zip and upload the contents (latest few, at least; they are named by date) of c:\windows\minidump. Everytime there is a bsod it writes the results there.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Random BSOD types is a hallmark of RAM errors. Graphics drivers load in upper areas of RAM and if the error is there, removing the larger NVidia driver may help, but the problem may well return.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice