Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

baffled about how the .tga functions

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ChuckE 
#1 ·
I'm confused about how the .tga format functions. I was working on a Windows Blinds skin, and certain icons and images require a .tga image. When I saved a .tga image for some of them, they don't appear. It looked as if the image didn't even exist. Paint Shop Pro and certain paint programs can view it. But using these images in Windows Blinds, it's not even there.

P4 2.8 GHz
128 MB Geforce 6200
1 GB of RAM
80 GB HD
DVD writer
CD writer

#2 ·
A graphic file format does not "function," it just is. There are capabilities and limitations, advantages and disadvantages of every file format.

If you are wanting to save some graphic file format to .ICO (an icon format) there are size limitations to icon sizes that most programs can handle, and I think that is 64x64 pixels, but I am not positive. There are programs that can handle, and even create .ICO images much larger than that 64x64 limitation, but that does not mean that another program will be able to handle those over-sized .ICO images.

#3 ·
Here is a freeware suggestion for creating .ICO files: IcoFX

Features (copied from that website):
IcoFX is an award winning freeware icon editor. It is an all-in-one solution for icon creation, extraction and editing. It is designed to work with Windows XP and Windows Vista icons supporting transparency.

With a wealth of tools and more than 40 effects at your fingertips, there's virtually no limit to the icons you can create. You can convert your favorite images into icons, or icons into images. With IcoFX you can extract icons from other files, including Windows Vista files. You can easily work with multiple files using the batch processing capability of IcoFX.

Main Features:
  • Support for Vista icon with PNG compression
  • Create icons for Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP / Vista
  • Support for transparency (alpha channel)
  • Batch processing for import, export and extract
  • Multiple language support
  • More than 40 effects + custom filter
  • Resolutions up to 256x256
  • Data types: 2, 16, 256, True Color, True Color + Alpha
  • Extract icons from 32 bit exe and dll
  • Import and export images
  • Transparent, Brighten/Darken, Blur/Sharpen tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.