1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Baffled by loss of Internet on LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brookac, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

Have 2 XP Pro connected via crossover. Up until 2 weeks ago had everything working fine with Internet on both Host and Client. After an adventure with malware, several restores/uninstalls and scans later I have an intermittent problem with getting internet and printing from Client.

I have done following:

1)Tried disabling firewalls, checked that traffic allowed from/to client. (using sygate on host xp firewall on client)

2)Uninstalled/reinstalled ICS on host. this worked temporarily.

3)Have assigned the IP addresses manually and as I say these have worked. They match those on troubleshooting sites

4)Have ping ok both ways

5)When working I did restore point on both. The ICS stopped working but despite restoring both PC's still no go.

6)Have uninstalled driverr for network card and reinstalled and set up LAN on host from scratch.

Very very frustrating. Is there anything else I can do other than full XP reinstall?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You always have internet on the host, you always can ping both directions, but the client's internet access comes and goes? Does it come back by itself, or do you do something to recover?

3. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

After its loss on the client pc, I got it back intially through uninstalling and reinstalling ICS on host. It then went after a few hrs. Have tried since and this no longer makes any difference

I fiddled in the morning to no avail. (disabled then enabled firewalls). Didnt work as a result of this. Both PCs off all day. came back 8 hrs later booted up and without any changes working!

Today it worked most of day. Only changes made was that I had installed and then run an Adaware SE scan on host. In fact I had gone onto client to download Adaware on that PC.

One thing I didnt mention in my thread was that I have run the Winsock xp fix, I had read that malware etc might result in corruption. This doesnt seem to do trick.

Even if the internet sharing/printing across LAN is not working I get good Ping either way.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Even if the internet sharing/printing across LAN is not working I get good Ping either way."

That makes no logical sense (to me) so I'd guess the cable or one of the adapters is going bad--but obviously not completely broken yet. On the other hand, you can never be really sure that you've completely cleaned up after some malware.

5. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

The cables are almost new.

The malware problem was that MS Antispyware was giving false positives on Trojan Hunter. I had put on Trojan Hunter as a reponse to a keylogger I found using HijackThis. Quite sure that no nasties left but wonder whether registry/settings corrupted. I ran quite a few online and downloaded scans to try to find what MS Antispyware was telling me. Also had to restore a few times. On thing that happened is that shortcuts on Start menu and also in Control Panel were duplicated. Suggests that system not great now. Although everything apart from ICS working fine.

Surely if Ping ok this would suggest that cable ok.

Also when connected not getting any "limited connectivity" on LAN icon

6. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

any further ideas, thanks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Surely if Ping ok this would suggest that cable ok."

It suggests it, but that's not proof. See story at end of this post.

The problem is in the cable, the Client or the Host. Try to isolate it to one.

Try a different crossover cable. Maybe you have a friend or colleague who could loan you one for a few hours.

If the Client is a laptop, take it to a friend's house and try connecting to their router (or their "Host" if they have a setup like yours).

Have a friend come over and try using their laptop in place of your Client.

If your host connects to the internet via ethernet, can you disconnect it and try the Client directly to the internet for a few hours.

War Story--Testing a new PCMCIA ethernet card I installed it in my old laptop, connected ethernet cable between it and my router and checked the ipconfig /all. Perfect. Did some things on the desktop and then remembered I wanted to copy some files to the laptop. The laptop couldn't "find" the desktop (Network path not found). Desktop couldn't find or ping the laptop. Laptop couldn't access the internet. The ipconfig on the laptop still perfect. Finally went to "step one"--ping the router. Tried 5 or 6 times. Each time it lost 2, 3 or 4 packets out of 4. Replaced cable; everything worked fine; discarded first cable. End War Story.

So, I still like my previous post--I've seen in this forum and had the above experience that shows that ethernet cables and adapters are capable of doing some tasks while failing others. And there is always the malware remnant corruption question.

8. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

thanks for you advice, will try your suggestion and get an alternative cable. earlier on I completely reinstalled drivers for both network cards, and then set up network from fresh using wizard. On the client it now can find ip addresses automatically so no need to set manually. When its done this the whole network is visible in Network Places. But still no internet connection sharing. Will post back at weekend as away on business till then. Appreciate your help.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "On the client it now can find ip addresses automatically so no need to set manually. When its done this the whole network is visible in Network Places. But still no internet connection sharing."

In my post #7 I was not addressing this situation; I was still addressing the problem(s) you described in posts #1, 3 and 5.

Have a good trip.

10. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

so keen to sort, got new crossover cable and now LAn set up with this......but no internet sharing still. Think that the automatic setting of IP not happening was related to Firewall stopping this. I have PCs side by side no and can observe whats happening.

I'm going to try and get it working via manually setting IPs. Will psst back.

11. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

no go either on manual or auto set ip address. appears as though cable ok. havent got alternative pc to try to isolate problem to host or client.

12. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

On the Sygate traffic log on host, when I attempt to access IE on client I see incoming traffic on UDP port from the clients ip. Not blocked but then nothing. I have tried with sygate off. This makes me think that problem at the client?

13. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

Terrynet, I now have ICS. Through combination of fiddling (installing/uninstalling ICS) and trial and error now working. IP being set automatically and now whole network visible on client. Only outstanding issue is now printer sharing which was working.

thank you for your help.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think my help has been mostly just supportive--reading your posts and saying, "good, good, keep trying." :)

I have found that printer sharing goes awry with almost any change to the network. On the "host" computer unshare the printer, and then share it again. On the other computer, delete it, and then connect to it again.

Ignore all my earlier stuff unless the ICS begins to come and go like before.

Hey, your trip was quick. Or did I sleep through the week and it's now the weekend? :)

15. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

Cant believe it..... rebooted both. Started host first. Now have lost ICS and also network no longer visible. So back to the beginning.
    Will go through all the steps again.
    Your support most appreciated.
    My trip is tommorrow up to sunny Glasgow. Didnt think I could squeeze in more network fixing tonight but couldnt resist it. It is however driving me MAD

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/454977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice