1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Baffling broadband issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mutchy, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mutchy

Mutchy Thread Starter

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum section...
    Some time ago I started getting an odd problem with my broadband. Many visits from Outreach engineers later, all of whom seemed somewhat puzzled by what was going on, I had 18 months of trouble free connection. Now for no apparent reason the issue has resurfaced.
    The problem, when it happens, is triggered by a phone call to my landline. I answer the phone and can hear that the line is crackly, then computer type noise can be heard on the line, and eventually my broadband connection goes down. I cannot reconnect my broadband by using the Speedtouch modem/router software, or even switching it off and back on again - the only way I can achieve this is by making an outbound call on my landline phone and leaving that call open until the internet light on the Speedtouch comes back on.
    As part of all this, the IP profile of my line drops dramatically, this latest time from 4meg to 750kbps.
    An engineer yesterday found no fault on my line, but a phonecall from him after he left dropped the IP profile further!
    I haven't made any changes here, no new/different equipment, and as I said, I've had 18 months blissfully trouble free surfing since this last occurred.
    Would be very grateful for any thoughts/advice!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you got filters on every phone connection ...
    maybe one of those is faulty

Are there overhead cables - my brother had a lot of telephone issues - noise etc and after 12mths and lots of complaints they discovered tree branches , foliage touching the cable a few miles down the road !!!! - once cleared the phone line has been perfect

3. Mutchy

Mutchy Thread Starter

Yes, filters on all sockets, and a plate on the main one. They were checked last time and found not to be the problem, though the plate was installed for me to make doubly sure.
    There are some overhead cables, but I don't think that can be the problem or I wouldn't have had everything working fine for 18 months before this started up again.

4. eddie1234567

eddie1234567

Have you disconnected all filters / extensions / lines from the main line and then only connected one filter to the main line and tried from there and see what happens.

Do this with all your filters on the main line one by one and call yourself to see if you can drop the line speed

5. Mutchy

Mutchy Thread Starter

There are two separate phonelines coming into the house, but no extensions on the one used for broadband. Just one phone and the broadband connection plugged into the main socket. I've even tried filters on the sockets of the other line!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't dismiss the possibility too quickly. Tree limbs grow; tree limbs and phone cables sag; tree limbs and phone cables blow in the wind; phone cables become loose--when I finally got repairs for my phone service once there were two places where the cables had loosened and gave me intermittent problems with one place being within a block and the other two blocks away.

Also phone companies make changes--adding a new customer for instance--and sometimes accidentally knock somebody else's connection loose.

That sounds to me like a problem with that wiring or the filter. Maybe a connection has corroded and you are not getting a good ground. Maybe the filter has gone bad.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice