1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bandwhich controller suggestions

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jay_JWLH, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

I have a good question. I need two different types of bandwhich controllers that are free, are used on a personal computer and generally not too hard to use.

For the first one id like suggestions on programs that work by restricting the incomming information from the internet. That way anyone in a network shared enviroment cant install the program on each of the computer, and self calculate how much they want each computer to use out of the internets total bandwhich. This would be great so that one person downloading something wont take up all the internet traffic while the other person is playing a simple online game.

For the second one id like suggestions on a program that works on a single computer, and restricts bandwhich to certain applications. In my case i would like to keep my online game constantly connected (should be 56k of 320k), while i leave the rest to use on whatever else i want, like page viewing and downloads.

Dont forget, make sure they are generally free, and follow the above purposes. Ive searched the internet for these types of programs, but they just dont seem to be specific enough.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The only thing I know of that is free would be a Proxy server like Squid. But the learning curve is pretty high if you are not the experience with these types of applications. They do have versions for Windows but it was originally written for Linux.

3. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Alright... bump. Any more suggestions.

I must note that I have seen many things that promise to do something for your computer, but they just never seem right (and i dont click on them or give them a second thought). Either there are barely any noticable good ones out there, or people havnt had their say.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"Bandwhich controller"?

I assume you actually want a "bandwidth controller"?

To do what you want is complex, and usually accomplished by deep packet inspection (DPI) in order to accomplish the difficult task of determining the nature of each packet, and it's priority.

Alas such complex solutions are not free, that I am aware of.

Google will point you to some very expensive solutions.

5. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Alright ill say this in a bit of a different way. You get an incomming/outgoing connection, and you throttle it. For the programs, like restricting processing speed (normally priority), you can cut down the speed to certain applications.

Overall, something that internet service providers do to give you your internet speed at home.

6. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

I see bandwhich programs easily accesable out there, but there are no easy to use ones. Ill find one sooner or later.

7. Garfuncle

Garfuncle

For the single computer use, I got a copy of "net limiter" but I think it's gone pay now.

8. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Garfuncle, you followed my posts didnt you? :). Anyway, thats the next best answer ive got yet.

9. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Now that sounds more like what i want [http://www.netlimiter.com/].

10. Garfuncle

Garfuncle

should work, though it might not be free

11. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Yeah, ill see what my friend thinks of it, as he is likely to have a better use of it. It is sure hard to use, becuase i barely understand it. Seeing as i dont have much bandwhich problems, I uninstalled it. Wonder if my friend will find it incredibly useful.

12. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Id like to keep this post going. Any more suggestions? (otherwise this is a bump)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice