Bandwidth and the IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moreproblems

Hi folk

I love and practically live on the IRC. I have many chat buddies scattered all over the globe.

Out here in South Africa, Telkom controls any and everything telephonic-related. There are many ISPs, but they have to conform to the rules layed down by Telkom, from whom DSL lines are leased out. From what I can gather, Telkom decrees how much of the abailable bandwidth goes to E-mails, Browsing, downloading etc etc. I get conflicting stories depending who I speak to. But that is the gist of it. Whatever is "left over" went to IM and IRC.

At the beginning of August, I tried to log onto the Undernet and DalNet and just couldn't; it kinda went half way through the log-on process, and gave up the ghost. Same story every day - except after office hours and weekends. So logic told me the "bandwidth" or whatever you want to call it, was being diverted (if you will) to other users - downloaders I was informed.

Now a lot of this is finger-pointing; a lot of this is speculation on my part and a hell of a lot of BS and fingerpointing from Telkom who blames my ISP and my ISP who say it's Tel;kom. Back on the ranch, I can't get on to the IRC. While they play their cards close to their chests, and everyone points at someone else, us IRC users cannot log on during "office hours" for whatever reason and whoever is culpable, the available "oomph" / bandwidth is just no longer there when you want it.

That's the (rather long - sorry!) preamble. Aren't you all glad you don't live here? What to do about it? I use a 384 Kb/sec ADSL line. It's not warp speed, but ADSL is expensive if you go much higher.

So my questions are:-(a) does anyone know of a "way" of logging on to the IRC if there isn't enough "oomph" / bandwidth to do so. Maybe different port numbers? Default is 6667; I've tried 6668, 6669 and 7000 to no avail. I just can't log on - not until the corporates go home and free up some bandwidth. (b) Does anyone know whether a faster line would help. I don't think so, but I am guessing. Anyone with more knowledge?

Any suggestions or ideas to try would be very welcome. Don't suggest approacvhng the ISP or Telkom; I could get to see our President faster & easier!

There are no nearer servers than Europe; none in the whole of Africa. And finally, this drastic cutback in bandwidth for IM doesn't affect YM, MSN & Skype.Weird hey?

Thanks folks/

Larry
(MoreProblems)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online