1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bandwidth Capping Issues

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Blarfo, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blarfo

Blarfo Thread Starter

I recently had a new modem box installed for my cable modem and it came with some odd problems that my ISP claims is a problem on our end.

Basically, we have an 8-mbps limit on our net, which is more than enough for the activities we do (online games, web browsing, video streaming). It's a higher limit that we used to have on our old cable subscription.

However, downloads of any sort, mostly video streaming and any straight file download off Firefox seems to cause our network activity to spike to nearly 100%, causing all other bandwidth-using operations to slow to a crawl or disconnect entirely. It doesn't matter if we're downloading a small file or large one, or if it's at 10 kb/s or 900 kb/s, all other internet-using programs get completely bogged down while the download runs. But while all other programs suffer, the download that spikes the activity works just fine and can download at very high-speeds.

It feels the same as a BitTorrent throttler (nobody on our network uses BitTorrent or any torrenting programs). We've since switched routers with absolutely no change in symptoms. Our ISP claims they can't see any issues when they run us through some basic diagnostic tests.

We've yet to try hooking up the modem straight to our primary PC (the next step in my schedule) but I was wondering if there were any other tests I could do to try and narrow down the problem, as I find that the router is unlikely the issue. It seems like it's just a case of our ISP seriously throttling our net and refusing to tell us.

2. Blarfo

Blarfo Thread Starter

Tried hooking the modem up straight to my primary PC with the same results. This is clearly an issue with the connection itself, is there any way I can narrow down what it is so I can make our ISP get out here and fix it?

3. Blarfo

Blarfo Thread Starter

Still can't get this fixed... bump.

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

5. Blarfo

Blarfo Thread Starter

6. Jason08

Jason08

Have you tried resetting the modem and router together?

7. Blarfo

Blarfo Thread Starter

Yeah. After we first set it up and were on the phone with our ISP (our modem has a backup battery, so we can't just unplug it to restart it, they have to do it from their end... kind of annoying) we tried doing it again when we noticed the problem was persisting. It didn't change anything.

At this point I'm just going to tell them to come out and make sure everything was properly installed when they first did it. If not, guess it's time to switch to FiOS.

Even though I didn't get this fixed, thanks for the links and the help.

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

There should be a pinhole on back or bottom to reset. I have same style modem.

Turn everything off.

Reset modem> wait a minute or two, turn on router, again, wait a minute or two.
    Finally, turn on one of the problem PCs'.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/832149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice