1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bandwidth control program?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by os008, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. os008

os008 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I've been using a program called Bandwidth Manager for years with Windows XP to control the bandwidth going to the network users from the Internet.

I moved to Windows Vista a few weeks ago. Problem is that the program doesn't support it. So i tried different other programs, they all are very bad, or simply doesn't work with the setup i have, which is an ADSL Modem (USB), Internet Connection Sharing, and an NIC.

In BWM i simply create a rule, choose the NIC i want to control, specify the MAC of the Source and Destination, and then the speed.

All the programs i've tried failed because of the Source and Destination problem. When i create the rule, for each user i make 2 rules actually, one Download and one Upload. The Download is simply controlled by specifying the Source as ALL, and the Destination as the user's MAC, that's because the NIC is facing the LAN. The Upload is Vice Versa. Nearly all the programs i've tried either combine the Upload and Download rules, or just force me to choose weird naming for the NICs which results in a complete failure to control the packet the way i want.

Do you guys have any suggestions on which program is simple enough to meet the purpose i want please?

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/707975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice