1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bandwidth Control

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ERJHolton, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ERJHolton

ERJHolton Thread Starter

I run a small network at home for me and a couple of friends. My PC runs Windows 2000 Professional and uses the built-in Internet Connection Sharing functionality to allow the other people to access the net, using 64k or 128k ISDN.

Normally this arrangement works fine, except when one of the other people in the house decides to kick off a significant download of mail / news / web pages etc while I'm playing an online game (usually EverQuest). This sucks up the bandwidth, causing me massive lag and packet loss and, unless I unplug them from the hub, disconnection from the game server. Using channel bonding helps but isn't really a long-term solution as their use increases to match bandwidth provided. I also still distrust ADSL as a solution at this time.

My question is that is there any software (third party will do) that can be installed that will limit the amount of bandwidth available per user, perhaps assigned on an IP number basis?

I have an unused Pentium Pro box on which Linux could be installed if that OS can provide a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Don't use ICS if you can help it. If you have an external ISDN modem you can use a hub/switch setup and use the ISDN as a gateway.

3. ERJHolton

ERJHolton Thread Starter

Had a similar response from a friend; use an ISDN router. At the moment I'm using an internal ISDN card (hardware budget doesn't stretch infinitely :p) but I'm going to look at that kind of external box solution.

The question is, though, what real world difference would I expect to see during periods of high usage by the other people? No packet loss but increased ping? Packet loss and increased ping, but better than before?

I don't want to spend money on equipment that may provide a better solution from a technical viewpoint, but which makes little to no practical difference.

4. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/94820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice