1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bandwidth Throttling - Limiting Upstream Bandwidth

Discussion in 'Networking' started by austinguy, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. austinguy

austinguy Thread Starter

Not sure if this topic had been touched or not. I have about 65 computers connected to a Business Class Cable Internet connection. Anytime someone uploads large attachments, the entire network suffers slow download time. Normal web surfing turns into dialup-like performance for the rest of the computers on the network until the user who is uploading content is finished.

My question is, is there any software that will limit the upstream bandwidth to the Internet? If so, where can I find it?

If not, what hardware (routers, switches) will limit upstream bandwidth useage?

I have our network configured as follows:
    Linksys BEFSX41 Firewall Router with latest firmware to share the Internet
    Two Dell PowerConnect 3048 Managed Switches, stacked together
    Windows 2000 Server configured as domain controller and serves as DHCP and file server

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Tom

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

I would say that your router is not working properly. Most routers will give equal WAN access to clients as they come online. I have not heard good things about this Linksys router.

Perhaps you could trial another router (Netgear for example) and see if that Linksys beast is the problem.

3. austinguy

austinguy Thread Starter

I think the router is working just fine. I'm only seeing dialup performance when users are uploading huge files. We're pushing better than T1 performance when nobody is uploading content. I would think if someone is using up nearly 100% of the upstream bandwidth, it directly affects the downstream bandwidth because when downloading, you still need to send out packet requests. It's hard for these packets to go out if someone is eating up all your upstream bandwidth.

That's why I'm looking for some software, or hardware, that will allow me to regulate the speed of the outbound traffic. As long as I have at least 10% of the upstream bandwidth reserved for normal operation, I don't really care about how fast they're uploading content.

If you recommend a Netgear router, which one would you recommend?

4. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

After asking around my office a bit, it appears that maybe you should be talking to your ISP. There are several issues related to upload/download speeds. Check out other ISPs. I believe you should have a full duplex modem.

Interesting issue. Good luck.

5. austinguy

austinguy Thread Starter

Our upstream bandwidth is approx 50 KB/sec, and our downstream bandwidth is approx 512 KB/sec (KB=Kilobytes, not kilobits). I don't think our management is ready to fork out money to upgrade our Internet connection. That is why I'm trying to find out if there are alternatives.

If I find anything out I'll post with the solution.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!