1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bank of America online banking tracking cookie

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by desertwind, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desertwind

desertwind Thread Starter

I have identified three 3rd party snoops used by BofA during my online banking sessions: coremetrics.com, adtrack.com and ads.doubleclick.net. I have all three sites added to my local hosts list in an attempt to block access to these urls.

When I type in these site addresses directly into my browser bar, it returns the expected "the connection was refused when attempting to contact [third party site]" message.

However, this message never pops up when I am browsing during my online banking session even though the web page contains javascript calling these sites. Is the javascript circumventing the hosts list "blocking" technique and sending information collected about me to these 3rd parties?

I'm using Netscape v7.2, although I have also noticed the same thing seems to hold true with IE6.

Tawni

2. hewee

hewee

Yea if if you block cookies and sites with your hosts file your get session cookies from cookies that you have blocked.
    Also I have a very big host file from http://www.hosts-file.net/downloads.html and it does a great job and is always getting update so I keep it up todate.
    Also have all 3 party cookies blocked. I use Netscape 7 also.
    Have Zone Alarm Pro that helps some with cookies. Help more on IE then Netscape but I will not use IE. But looking at cookies that are not on my keep list or the newer cookies in Zone Alarm it never shows just sessions.
    But if you go to the cookie manager in netscape and then high light each cookie and look below your see what type of cookies they are. Put a check mark in the box down by the remove cookie and it will add that cookie to the block list (site cookies). Good cookies are the (stored cookies)
    You have to look at the cookie manager to see if you have any bad cookies after going to sites that seem to do things like this like BofA is doing and do it after going to BofA but before closing Netscape because that clears the session cookie.

Now I don't use IE but there has to be a way to add sites to a list that you want to block by adding I think to the Restricted sites.

See the site below and your get lots of great info.

Protecting Your Privacy & Security
    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main-nf.htm

Look under "Browser Configuration" for Netscape and IE.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!