1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bank security comment

Discussion in 'General Security' started by calvin-c, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned Thread Starter

I recently had an experience that started me thinking about online banking security. All the banks I know of use 3 levels of security-user ID, password, and security questions. What I'm seeking is opinions on the best order in which to use these?

When they're on separate screens (which seems to be done about half the time) the user ID always comes first (of course) but most often it seems like the security questions come next. That is, the security questions are used to gain access to the password screen-isn't this backwards?

It seems to me that the security questions should be used as a 'backup' to the password. That is, they should be asked if there's some indication that the password might have been compromised. The most common indication might be that the login is coming from an 'unrecognized' computer-which the banks are using to trigger the security questions, but it seems to me they're doing it at the wrong time.

The experience I had was mis-typing my user ID & matching a valid one. (Not as difficult as it sounds for this bank-security doesn't appear to be a high priority with them, they use account numbers as the user ID.) I've noticed before that the security questions rotate. That is, if you can't remember one answer then you can just start over, re-entering your user ID, and you'll be asked a different one. So really all you need to know to get to the password screen is the answer to one of the security questions.

I've seen other banks that do it better-user ID & password on the same screen so you don't know which is incorrect if it doesn't work, followed by 3 security questions if your computer isn't recognized (or maybe even if it is-randomly asking the questions would also be good). So it probably depends on the banks I use, but I've seen the 1st scenario more often at the smaller local banks I prefer. (Unlike the people behind 'Move Your Money Day' I pretty much abandoned major banks over 30 years ago. I keep a savings account in one so I have access to some money pretty much everywhere, but my major accounts are all in local banks-credit unions, mostly.)

So what are your thoughts? If the user ID & password are on separate screens (not a good idea in itself) should the security questions be asked before or after the password?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The security question before the password actually can
    help keep hackers from even attempting to hack the password
    as they wont be able to get to the password page without it.
    My bank also uses a security picture that helps to let me
    know I am on the right page and not a redirect.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice