Banner ads on TSG forum?

Surreal2

Thread Starter
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
579
Since joining I've noticed various banner ads running at the top of forum windows below the TSG header and also down the right hand side.

I'd assumed these were ad spaces sold by TSG as a way to generate revenue, and I have no problem with that.

However, today the 'vibrating banner' at the top was one of those 'Congratulations you've won...click here to see your prize' things. Is this supposed to be on the site, and if not is there a way to adjust my settings so these things don't appear?

Win98se pc, ie6
 

Surreal2

Thread Starter
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
579
brushmaster1 said:
You can eliminate the ads by donating to TSG...
Oh...thanks brushmaster, I didn't know that. Actually the general ads don't bother me, I just thought the Congrats ad was a bit suspect and not something I'd've thought TSG would allow.

I do indeed intend to donate...problem is at the moment I am going through what one might, in a moment of understatement, describe as a severe cashflow problem on the business and income front. As soon as I can donate I will...meanwhile I'm hoping that giving some time to offering help to others where possible at least makes a small contribution in paying some dues for the help I've received.
 

Surreal2

Thread Starter
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
579
little den said:
I've never seen the 'congrats' one on here...

Hmmm....
Hmmm indeed...it's not the sort of ad I'd expect TSG to allow..infact, some of the other ads look a bit suspect to me as well. Needless to say, I didn't click to see how many zillions I'd won :)
 
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
6,336
I've seen the odd 'weird' ad, but not that one. I think the only moving one I've seen is the 'Smiley' one.
You mentioned the 'Business' front. Do you own your own? Just outta curiosity...
 
Joined
May 16, 2003
Messages
4,092
Surreal2 said:
Hmmm indeed...it's not the sort of ad I'd expect TSG to allow..infact, some of the other ads look a bit suspect to me as well. Needless to say, I didn't click to see how many zillions I'd won :)
Mike is aware that a few suspect adds appear from time to time but apparently it is a difficult thing to police.
He has suggested that when they appear click on "View then Source" and copy and paste the content into an email to him to help identify where they are coming from.
 

Surreal2

Thread Starter
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
579
little den said:
I've seen the odd 'weird' ad, but not that one. I think the only moving one I've seen is the 'Smiley' one.
You mentioned the 'Business' front. Do you own your own? Just outta curiosity...
Yes, I've seen the smiley one and...horror of horrors...on the side panel once I got...THE FROG :eek:

Yes, I have my own business, and fings is a bit tuff at the mo.
 

Surreal2

Thread Starter
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
579
xgerryx said:
Mike is aware that a few suspect adds appear from time to time but apparently it is a difficult thing to police.
He has suggested that when they appear click on "View then Source" and copy and paste the content into an email to him to help identify where they are coming from.
Ahh..thanks xgerryx - next time I see it I'll do just that. I don't know enuf about websites to know how things get on...if they are banners (rather than popups), I don't know how they can appear without the site owner allowing it. Just my ignorance displayed for everyone's edification once again :)
 
Joined
May 16, 2003
Messages
4,092
Surreal2 said:
I don't know how they can appear without the site owner allowing it.
I guess the space is sold to agencies which in turn probably sell time slots so it could be difficult to filter.
 

Surreal2

Thread Starter
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
579
The congrats ad just popped up again...I checked View/Source and will email the result to Mike.
 
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
6,336
I missed it again! Umm...I just noticed (after randomly trying it anyway) I got no source coming up.....odd....

Hmmmm......
 

Surreal2

Thread Starter
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
579
little den said:
I missed it again! Umm...I just noticed (after randomly trying it anyway) I got no source coming up.....odd....

Hmmmm......
LOL..I said I did the View/source thing, I didn't say I'd necessarily found the source...since I have but the barest clue as to what I'm reading in the file. And it was too big for notepad so had to go into wordpad. :)
 
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
6,336
Surreal2 said:
LOL..I said I did the View/source thing, I didn't say I'd necessarily found the source...since I have but the barest clue as to what I'm reading in the file. And it was too big for notepad so had to go into wordpad. :)
Yeah I know what you meant :) ...I just haven't got the 'source' part of 'view>source' coming up. I used to...
I better fix it...bugger it!
 

Surreal2

Thread Starter
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
579
little den said:
Yeah I know what you meant :) ...I just haven't got the 'source' part of 'view>source' coming up. I used to...
I better fix it...bugger it!
Oops...sorry I misunderstood/misread your post. Hmmm..no 'source' under 'view' eh? Yes, I'd like to say that sounds like a serious problem that needs fixing...'cept for the fact that this is actually the first time I've ever used 'View/Source' :D
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Top