1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Banners and buttons

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by xxJackxx, Jun 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Thread Starter

Hey, firstly I just thought I would make sure that you know that I am a girl and not a boy, despite my name! :eek:)
    I'm new to this site and new to building websites, as well. I was hoping that, if some one could, you could tell me, or help me or no any websites that would help me or do me a banner or button for my website, for a link to my site.
    I have quite a few affiliates and they want banners or a button and I haven't a clue how to make one. Can someone please help?
    Thank you for your time and help! It is very appreciated. :eek:)

2. marcus77

marcus77

It's not that difficult to get started with a button or banner with your website on your own using Paint Brush. Better yet, if you give me a link to your site, I will create you a small banner/button and give you the rundown of how I did it.

3. BillC

BillC

Hi Jack,

I've found a great button maker with lots of options and best of all, it is freeware. Here is the link to "ZPaint" http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/.

Hope you find this helpful.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Thread Starter

Thank you both so much.

5. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Welcome to TSG xxJackxx. I am looking forward to see how your site comes along! ;)

6. marcus77

marcus77

I've created a banner, but my email is not allowing me to attach it. Is it okay if I post it?

7. bassetman

Its OK by me! :cool:

8. marcus77

marcus77

Well, I'll give xxJackxx a few more minutes, then I'll post the banner. I just didn't know if she wanted it posted because when she sent me the URL to her site, it was by PM and not posting. But anyway, here is how I made it:

1) First I looked at the site for what the layout was. What was the site about. If there was any logos on the site that I could use for the banner. Since there were no logos, but the site was a fan site, I just used the name of who the site was about.

2) I got 2 pictures of the person that the site was about doing a search on Google.com. I saved the pics as .bmp files and clipped them both down to "head shots" using Paintbrush (which is included in Win9x, ME, NT, 2K, & XP).

3) I created a new pic with Paintbrush that was 300x100 pixels (you can also do 500x100). I zoomed into the picture at 800% and created what I call "button risers". This was accomplished by going to each corner, creating a line 8 squares diagonal, and connecting those lines. Then, I minimized the screen.

4) I opened another imaging program (since I was at work, it was Microsoft Photo Editor, but at home, it's Photosuite 3) and resized the head shots to 84 pixels in height, then saved them under another name (so I could still have the originals if I messed up).

5) I then maximized Paintbush and went to Edit/Paste From and imported and placed each photo on the pic.

6) After placing the head shots, I went back to viewing the pic at 800% to make sure that none of the photos went over the border line for the "button risers". Once I made sure that they didn't, I filled the top and right sides with light grey and bottom and left with dark grey. Then, I saved the pic.

7) After saving, I added the site name on to the banner with Text feature in Paintbrush, "tweaking" the style and color to get the right effect. Once that was accomplished, I added the URL in smaller letters to the bottom of the banner/button. Then I saved one last time as .bmp, then went to Save As, and saved the banner as .jpg.

9. bassetman

Marcus77 if you notice she has her site as a link in her member info. :cool:

Unless of course its a different one! :eek:

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Thread Starter

Hi marcus77, Thank you so much for making me the banner. You are so sweet. I have never known anyone to go to such a length, other than the standard link back to your site if you have you if theres anything I can do to repay your kindness just let me know! You guys have made me really welcome here. Again thanks. :D

xxJackxx

11. bassetman

That's the kinda place this is! :D

12. marcus77

marcus77

You are welcome xxJackxx. Here's your button/banner. It's not that great, but it's something:

Attached Files:

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I love it! It's so cool. Thank you! :D :D

xxJackxx

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!