1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Barebones

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by subman240, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. subman240

subman240 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

i am thinking about upgrading from my dell precision 420 to a new barebones kit from tigerdirect

(barebone kit : Click here. )
    And i wanted to buy that, get the fan, and just switch the graphics card and my hard drives.

But, i was talking to a friend and he said i couldn't switch the hard drives cause it could cause problems with windows....

so my question is...

can i use my hard drives from my dell precision (they are not stock hard drives), and just throw them in to my new barebones kit?

Thanks for the answers,

Jacob.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If they can be connected they should work but your Operating System, like XP, probably won't.
    It's because of different hardware between the Dell and the new one, unless the hardware is identical (or very nearly so) the OS has all the wrong drivers and won't run.

3. geehawk

geehawk

You could do a repair install of windows. The only problem after that is getting a key to work. Unfortunately Dell uses OEM keys on all of their systems. If you have a valid Windows XP key on the other hand (aside from the one that came with your dell) try doing a repair install and it should prompt you for a new key.

4. subman240

subman240 Thread Starter

Well the good thing is, when i got the dell there was no operating system on it, so i installed our with sp2 disk, and so far so good.

And how would i go about doing the repair windows??Would that overwrite the drivers that i dont need anymore with the ones i do need?

My dell is nothing like this barebones here.... my dell has a Intel and i wanna switch to a amd processor.

My dell specs -
    Windows XP SP2
    20 gig HDD master
    80 gig HDD slave
    256mb or RDRAM
    1.0ghz pentium 3 intel
    dvd rw drive.

5. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Yes, however your friend is on the money when it comes to causing problems. First of all it will have to reinstall all your new drivers for your software. This should really go pretty well unless there is incompatible hardware. Microsoft's web site has lots of info on Hardware compatibility and will help clue you into any potential problems prior to doing anything.

It may work fine but require a re-activation once completed. This is usually just connecting to the net, and running windows activation. Worst case you'll have to call them. In extremely bad luck cases Microsoft will refuse to activate your install. If you feel you may have any problems here, call Microsoft first and talk to them about your desire before you move the hard disk.

Worst case scenario it corrupts the disk completely during driver installs and now it won't work. Of course at this point you could just format and do a fresh install. At least you tried :)

Most system builders would recommend that it's better to backup your data off your existing disk, format it, wipe it, then rebuild it in the new system.

But nothing says you can't try it out, just make sure you cover the bases above to reduce any potential problems you could run into.

6. subman240

subman240 Thread Starter

so basically,

i would backup using norton ghost,

copy the back up to a seperate computer
    reinstall windows,

install norton ghost, then just install the back up over it using norton ghost?

I think it sounds like a plan?

7. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Ghost won't solve your driver issues. Ghost assumes your going right back into the same system. So you will still have to deal with windows redetecting new hardware and installing new drivers, etc. etc. IMHO Ghost just add's a layer and doesn't solve anything by reducing the layers.

8. geehawk

geehawk

Making a backup (if possible) is a good idea. If you are using norton ghost don't store the new image on the drive your backing up, as this ruins the point of making a backup. The worry here is of file corruption during the XP repair install, which isn't very likely but is still possible. If you have an external drive, create a ghost image and store it on the external drive. Software incompatibilities aren't really a factor, because a repair install is doing essentially the same thing (driverwise) as a fresh load and microsoft wouldn't make any money if a whole lot of people couldn't install window's on their new systems because of drive incompatibilities. To be honest I don't think you need to worry about anything except the XP activation process. That is hit or miss. Good luck!

9. subman240

subman240 Thread Starter

Well does anyone know of a program that backs up your files but not the windows folder?

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can use Ghost for backup purposes.
    I think all versions of Ghost let you extract files from the backup Image, you don't have to restore the image, just use it as a source of files. If you compress the image it's very similar to a zip file.

Personally I would do a clean install of XP, since you have an install CD already.
    Backup your data, or the whole partition/drive with Ghost (check the ghost version you have will let you extract single files from the image first though).

Although it may be possible to get your present XP working on the new hardware it could be unreliable later on, a clean install should work perfectly.
    I know it's a pain to re-install Applications, drivers etc. but once you have it set up you can make an Image with Ghost so if you need to re-install just use the Image.

Just my opinion.

11. geehawk

geehawk

I didn't used to be a fan of repair installs at all, but recently I've been using them more at work and things have been pretty smooth. If you have any issues whatsoever with malware and/or applications not running correctly a clean install is undoubtedly the better route. The main reason for suggesting the repair install is that it provides a convenient way to upgrade hardware without losing all of your software. A clean install will have the highest success rate and a repair install is more convenient. It's really up to you, just decide where your priorities are.

12. jmwills

jmwills

In this case, a clean install would be preferred all the time. The hard drives do not know where they are, i.e., Dell or Barebones, they are dumb devices and could care less.

13. subman240

subman240 Thread Starter

hey thanks for all the replies...

im just going to go with the repair install and see how it works..

thanks guys!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice