1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Baseline scan finds...Help please

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by bob054, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob054

bob054 Thread Starter

Installed and ran the new Microsoft baseline security scan. Whew! Thought It would help as last week 4 Viruses got past Norton, and later found another on Panda. My Scan first revealed that I was missing all my updates on Office/micros/SP3. That was interesting as I have windows XP 2002! Then there were some "Is you is, is you ain't" finds that I tried to re-install. The higher risk took almost 90 mins and was rejected, 3, 1 minutes patches installed.
    It also found that I had 4 administrators! There are only 2 of us here. I went to fix it and found 4. The "guest" had become an administrator and another had a picture of a Chess board, password I couldnt crack, and its name was "ABCN OFFICES". I could not extract any info, so deleted and pop up said info would go to destop. That did'nt happen. Also found that it was impossible to engage my xp firewall with AOL although it blocked Lan settings, which I don't have, My wifes security settings were also on the danger list.
    I just installed "Zone Alarm", already have adaware and spybot, regseeker and cw schredder, Norton system works 2003, which may go bye bye for free virus protection. Last week each virus, "Downloader" and Blood hound exploit 6 were embedded in Doc/settings all users AOL\c\....And "W97m lls gen" in wifes documents and got through Norton, completly updated security field. Something also made Norton not work right. I had to re-install Norton, ran sweep and all is clear
    Any more things a poor boy can do?
    Thank you
    Bobby

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

you'd better call Microsoft customer service immediately for help getting rid of those unwanted users, but usually any Administrator can Change or Remove a password from any administrator in the User Accounts control panel. There should only be one (1)administrator, any extras Limited users. Yes, that's normal that the WinXP ICF can't be enabled with AOHell and you have to use ZA or Sygate Personal Firewall freebies. :(

I'd get AntiVir free virus protection by clicking the colored link at the bottom of my post; Uninstall all Symantec products; Restart your computer; Then install AntiVir. AntiVir comes out with updates at least every other business day. Usually updating is quick and automated but sometimes the manual updater wants to do a full install again, let it by clicking next buttons and ticking boxes. Only use the manual updater and scan, don't use the Scheduler for automated scans/updates. Only do them manually. I'd recommend this with all AV products.

3. bob054

bob054 Thread Starter

Thanks....I was able to delete the one "Admin" user and switch my "visitor" user back to blank. I was just wondering where they came from and was glad that the new baseline helped me find them . I woulda never thought to look. Will try the sygate, however having trouble with the AZ true vector security right now. Thats antother post though. Thanks,
    Bobby

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!