1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Basic computer maintainance

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mooselips, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mooselips

mooselips Thread Starter

Hi....I'm kind of new at this computer stuff. I have a window me, and run with a dial up 56 modem, with msn as my browser. I have norton systemworks. I regulary use norton to clean cookies, also I use ad aware on regular occasions...I have 164 ram memory...Is there other things I should be utilizing to keep my pc fresh and at optimum performance? Thanks for all your tips...

2. BillC

BillC

What I do is go to PC PitStop and run several of their tests. I like their system because it tells me a lot about my computer's condition and then compares me to similar set-ups. It is popular and free. Give it a go. :)

3. raybro

raybro

If you have NSW, I suggest you run WinDoctor and Disk Doctor regularly. I run them about every 2 weeks. Also run Speed Disk to defrag your HDD. Norton also has a utility called System Doctor which can be used to activate sensors which monitor whatever system you feel you want to keep track of. Mine has 8 sensors active.

Be sure to run a full system Virus scan with NAV about once a month and keep your definitions up to date..

I have found running regular clean up of the registry to be advantagous. Keep the garbage out and the system runs smoother and faster. I recommend jv16. It's free.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r893.html

AdAware is good, but I prefer Spybot S&D. It has a built in utility you can use to block downloading of the more common spywares. Kinda like a AV definitions except it's for spyware. Many people use both AdAware and Spyware. You can get Spybot here:

http://spybot.safer-networking.de/

4. mooselips

mooselips Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I do all thatstuff, keeping the trash empty, emptying cookies and temp files, so I guess I'm doing better than I thought I was, it's just sometimes SLUGGISH! Other than that, and I'm in no hurry anyway, I guess I'm a-ok...Thanks again...keep up the good work!

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mooselips:

You probably have too many programs running in the background. Read my article, "MSCONFIG - Reduce Your Startup Load". It will head you in the right direction. :)

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice