1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Basic Hardware Firewall Questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LewisObn, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LewisObn

LewisObn Thread Starter

Hi, in setting up a hardware firewall, is it best practices to have the firewall first in line behind th ISP's device, or second, after the wireless router. Reason for question, is I've put a hardware firewall in and then had to set the Wireless Router to Bridge mode to pass the DHCP info along, doing so disabled the guest network as it no longer dishes out IPs. So the question is do I put the wireless router in front of the hardware firewall and let it serve DHCP or keep it behind the firewall and add a separate wireless for guest access. (It seem to make sense to keep the hardware firewall the first device behind the ISP's box.) We want authenticated users to be able to use wireless and connect to the server, yet also want to allow guest access.

Second, the hardware firewall out of the box, is set to a 192.168.1.1. IP. If I have wireless router and a managed switch they too often default to their management access to 192.168.1.1 -- so is it best practice to leave the firewall at 1.1 and change the other devices, or change the firewall to a different IP first? Or doesn't it matter at all?

Third, if in the future we might add a site to site VPN, am I better off just starting the firewall at say 192.168.10.1, so that I can use 192.168.1.1 op to 192.168.1.9 to do site to site connections? Again, looking for best practices?

Thanks!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I would put the firewall directly under the modem. Then connect the wireless router under the firewall. If guests need wireless, then add a second wireless router under the firewall for them. ( $35)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!