1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Basic Mod

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NoSkill, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NoSkill

NoSkill Thread Starter

My question: Is it plausible to install a new PSU, get a new monitor, OC my cpu, and replace CPU fan for around $200?

MY System: eMachines Model ET1161-07

CPU - DualCore AMD Athlon 4050e, 2100 MHz

Mainboard - ECS MCP61PM-GM (eMachines OEM)
    MB BIOS - Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
    MB PCB Version - 1.03
    BIOS Version/Date - Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 10/29/2008
    VBIOS ?

HDD(IDE/SATA) - Hitachi HDT721032SLA

Memory
    DIMM1: Empty
    DIMM2: Nanya Technology 1G DDR2 800 DIMM CL6
    DIMM3: Nanya Technology 1G DDR2 800 DIMM CL6
    DIMM4: Nanya Technology 1G DDR2 800 DIMM CL6

VGA Card - Sapphire HD5670 GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI/DVI-I/VGA
    VGA Driver - Catalyst Version 11.7

PSU - Lite-On PS-5251-7

CD-ROM(IDE/SATA) - label flash DVD-R+DL

USB Devices - mouse + wireless adapter w/o RF antennae

My Goal : I want to replace the monitor, PSU, ram and possibly CPU cooler (if my mobo/bios allows OC'ing) to play BF3 on my PC.

I am trying to find a cheap way to play BF3. When I saw the trailers for the upcoming FPS, I decided to try and get this game. Sadly, BF3 is going to require a better system to run on min specs.

I thought that I should find a guide on building a custom PC. However, the things I read made me realize that I might be able to save money (and get desired results faster) by using what I already have (i.e. case, MB, HDD, CPU, GPU and ROM drive).

I'm very low on funds. I'm trying to cut corners financially. I don't want to sacrifice the quality or the integrity of the build/mod. I just want to achieve my existing machine's full potential (Without frying it or breaking the bank).

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    eMachines computers are not known for quality components. What you suggest would probably be like dressing up a pig and trying to teach it to dance. You'll end up frustrated and just irritate the pig.

Seriously, you'd be much better off saving your $$ and buying/building a better system. Last time I built one I bought pieces as I could afford them and find a good deal on them.

I's not likely that your m/b would allow overclocking.

My opinion, for what it's worth ...

3. sonexpc

sonexpc

Just get a New AMD A6 CPU + AMD MB + 4GB ===> $110 + $80 + $30.. CAD..forget to overclock your CPU... not worth ...

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Take the advice offered in posr #2 and don't waste your money trying to mod an eMachine.

5. NoSkill

NoSkill Thread Starter

Ok >Emachines + upgrades = fail

That's fine. Thanks for the input. I'll definitely check out the options offered by sonexpc and win2kpro.

@gr3iz - the pig analogy gave me a good smile, thanks for that.

EDIT: I was wondering how much I need to save before I can build a minimal PC. I have like $200- $250 right now and I am pretty broke.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for guides to get me started on the right foot?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice