1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

basic mp3 to audio cd questions

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by extent, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. extent

extent Thread Starter

I have a few questions relating to converting mp3 to audio cd, as I have some mp3 recordings I need to add to audio cdr in order to play on any hi-fi :-

1. What would you recommend as good tools for the job in converting mp3 to audio cd, with a high quality conversion? A tool that can verify the burns afterwards would be the best for me (ashampoo does not let me do this). Are there any free tools that can give a high quality output for this task?

2. Other than mp3, whats the best tool in your opinion that can convert a variety of audio formats to audio cd, without having to take each track individually to a format that the conversion program only supports (which is supposedly usually wav or mp3)?

3. Do audio cds normally have a main title?

4. I tried out ashampoo, which for mp3 to audio cd conversion, did not let me write a main title header for the disc in general. My discs didnt read in the same laptop after a burn either, but they did in a hi-fi!-could this have been related to the audio cd not allowing me to give the cd a title, or is it more likely to just be a poor drive or burning program?

5. After adding mp3 files, for a split second a window once popped up in the above ashampoo program and asked me to give the disc a name, but disappeared when I tried to click on the text area. I thought initially that my firewall/protection may have been causing the window to disappear (comodo/adaware always running)-which sounds like a bad bug-has anyone come across this in ashampoo? It hasnt happened since, I get no "name your cd" window- perhaps this wasnt ever meant to appear, and was a bug itself in ashampoo?

thanks for any info :)

2. stantley

stantley

Try CDBurnerXP to burn Audio CD's. Most burning software supports a variety of input formats and the quality of the output is about the same.

Some burning software supports CD-Text that lets you type in the Artist and Album. In CDBurnerXP go to Disc > CD-Text and enter the information. It will also enter each track title by reading the Mp3 tags.

Some of the newer CD players can read CD-Text, but many cannot. The same with PC programs, some can read it, some can't or they can read the Artist and Album but not the individual tracks. The best program I've found that can read CD-Text is Winamp.

I can't answer your questions about Ashampoo because I don't use it. I tried it a long time ago and didn't care for it.

3. peachferrari

peachferrari

I usually just use Windows Media Player to burn CDs from mp3. You just go to the burn tab, add the songs you want, and tell it to burn (In WMP 11 at least).

Another free burning program I've had good success with is BurnAware--supports both mp3 and CD audio (as well as video cd, dvd, blu-ray etc). You just choose which type of disc you want, add the files, and it takes care of the conversion.

4. extent

extent Thread Starter

thanks :) ..with the text issue, I wasnt clear, sorry-I meant if it was normal for audio cds to always have an overall title for the disc, not for each individual track (although I have heard that some more modern players can do it like you say, and show the name of each individual song as its played). I have tried some retail music now, and have noticed that the majority, without any pc content, are simply called "audio cd". After adding all my audio files at once, before burning, ashampoo once asked me to give a name to the audio cd, which was odd, as the program hasnt asked me to ever name an audio cd since. It must have been a bug-whether or not I should always get that "name the disc:-" choice, or whether it should never appear, I do not know. After burning using the laptop, the laptop wasnt able to read one disc initially, although it is able to now. The main problem I have with the program is not being able to verify such a conversion to audio cd after burning, but I will try out what you both suggest if those programs can convert to audio cd, burn and also verify-thanks :)

5. stantley

stantley

For commercial CD's, as you have seen, most of them don't have CD-Text (an overall title for the disc).

Homemade CD's will have CD-Text (an overall title for the disc) only if you use software that supports CD-Text and if you specifically choose to use it. And the only way to verify that the CD-Text has worked is to use a player that also supports CD-Text.

Most burning programs don't verify Audio CD's but you might be able to do it with ImgBurn, however the program isn't as easy to work with as CDBurnerXP.

6. extent

extent Thread Starter

I am guessing that verification of the audio cd is not possible in some programs possibly due to the final audio cd data being stored in a temp folder, or something similar? I am thinking there might be a work around in some programs for verification of an audio cd - eg if I can create an audio cd as a data image (iso or equivalent) on the hard drive first, then after a restart of the program (if necessary), burn that image, and then verify..

7. stantley

stantley

Yes, you can create an iso image on your hard drive, burn it to disc and then compare the images to verify but it's more trouble than it's worth.

Just burn the CD, stick in the player and if it plays your done.

8. Gomar

Gomar

First Name:
    Gomar
    http://www.poikosoft.com/

is the best all around burner, ripper, converter, etc.
    Why convert from MP3 to audio? If it's less than 160kbs, than quality wont be good.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice