1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

basic networking (at least i think its basic?)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TypeSK, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

help

i been trying to get my local home network. i used to have it working, but ever since i had to reinstall my OS on my computer, i havent been able to do it.

here is the computer specs:

Comp #1 (Packard Bell R515):
    win95B
    64 MB RAM
    Linksys LNE100x FastEthernet NIC Card
    200 Mhz MMX
    Maxtor Ultra/ATA IDE Controller Card
    disabled serial port

Comp #2 (Dell OptiPlex GX1p):
    win98SE
    320 RAM
    500 Mhz
    Integrated 3Com NIC Card

both network cards are installed correctly. in computer #1, i disabled the serial port as i am not using it and its causing IRQ conflicts with my sound card when i had my NIC card installed.

here is my setup on network properties on both computers:

Client For Microsoft Networks
    Dial Up Adapter
    NIC Card Adapter
    TCP/IP for DialUp Adapter
    TCP/IP for NIC Card
    file and printer sharing for microsoft networks

Primary Network Logon: Client for Microsoft Networks

both boxes are checked for allowing file and printer sharing

for TCP/IP, i have:

Computer #1:
    IP: 192.168.0.1 Subnet: 255.255.255.224
    Computer #2:
    IP: 192.168.0.2 Subnet: 255.255.255.224

Workgroup (on both): JAESUN
    Computer Names:
    Computer #1: TypeSK Computer #2: SouthK

DNS:
    DNS is disabled in both computers

Gateway:
    no gateway is listed on both computers

using a crossover cable between the two computers (used to have a hub and 2 regular RJ-45 cables, but its being borrowed now).

both computer NIC cards light up when the cables are plugged in

i have shared the folders i needed to share .... so when i go to network neighborhood, and click on "Entire Network", when i first do it, it takes awhile for it to even come up. at first, itll say its unable to browse the network, but after waiting for 2-5 minutes, im able to browse, and i click on the workgroup, and it wont list the other computer. BUT a couple times, itll list the other computer, but when i go to click it, it says its unable to find the workgroup or sharename, and then it goes away.

i have tried to install NetBeui on both computers to see if that works, to no avail, and i tried installing the IPX protocol to see if that works to no avail (i need IPX installed to play a game). but i cant seem to get the network going.

any help?

i have used this peer-to-peer network setup before at my house, and at a small network at my old workplace. so i dont see whats going on. both computers says in device manager that the NIC cards are working properly. i also tried taking computer #1 to my friends house to try it, and same problem. im thinking on trying to take computer #2 and try it to see if its computer #2. but im sure its computer #1 thats having the problem, or i have a setting thats off. but i have double checked, and triple checked for any errors.

any help?

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

There are a couple of steps that you may need to try to get this working.

Make sure that the username and password that you log on through the Client for MS Networks is the same on both machines.

Try mapping a network drive to one of the shared folders that you have created, preferably on both machines. That will help to keep the connection persistent. If you can't "see" the share at the time as the network isn't working start a DOS prompt and type

net use [drive letter]: \\[machine name]\[share name] then hit enter. If you get an error message that will help to determine what s going on.

Do you have a Firewall or anything similar on either machine?

What sort of share access have you set on the shared folders?

If all else fails try updating the drivers on both NICs to see if that makes any difference.

3. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

i dont use a password. when the password prompts come up, i just hit enter and dont even bother with it. should they be the same? also, can i just use windows logon instead of Client for Microsoft Networks for my Primary Network Logon?

ill try that after i follow the other steps.

no i dont. no security measures. i am on dialup. i only have network to share files, and play games with friends.

i have full access setup on the shared folders, with no password.

i guess ill try that too. but i never had problems before. weird.

4. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

i tried mapping the network drive from network neighborhood, and i get the following error when trying ....in exact words:

Title Bar: Windows Networking

The following error occurred while trying to connect
    I: to \\Southl\dwhatever

The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it correctly, or try again.

-----------------

i get that on both computers. for awhile, it was asking about dial up network. but now it does this.

any suggestions now?

5. pthres

pthres

Lets get back to basics and start all over again as though first time install.

Uninstall all settings on BOTH computers, goto device manager and uninstall BOTH network cards.

Reboot and install NIC's with correct / updated drivers when prompted. I would also have a spare ( tested ) crossover cable as well.

1st comp

Computer name = typesk
    workgroup name = jaesun

Install Client for ms networks
    Allow file and print sharing
    TCP / IP settings for network card = 192.168.0.1 subnetmask = 255.255.255.0
    Access Control = Share Level

Bindings = Client for ms networks & file and printsharing

2nd comp

Computer name = southk
    workgroup name = jaesun

Install Client for ms networks
    Allow file and print sharing
    TCP / IP settings for network card = 192.168.0.2 subnetmask = 255.255.255.0
    Access Control = Share Level

Bindings = Client for ms networks & file and printsharing

re-boot machine again

You MUST login at this stage and NOT press ESC even if you don't want a password at least press enter.

now goto dos environment on comp 1 and type "ping localhost"
    if tcp / ip is working correctly you will see the obvious results if not then at this stage if your comp can't see "itself" then something else is wrong.

now goto dos environment on comp 2 and type "ping localhost"
    if tcp / ip is working correctly you will see the obvious results if not then at this stage if your comp can't see "itself" then something else is wrong.

now goto dos environment on comp 1 and type "ping southk"
    if tcp / ip is working correctly you will see the obvious results

now goto dos environment on comp 2 and type "ping typesk"
    if tcp / ip is working correctly you will see the obvious results

If everything is working ok at this stage it is now time to start sharing folders ect

But first let's get a basic connection going

Forgive me if I've missed anything out, long night and quite tired

:eek: ( yawn )

6. jpoff

jpoff

Just a thought, i've been working with alot of Lynksys based NIC cards recently and found that alot of them need the Client for Netware and IPX/SPX compatible protocol to run.

*NOTE*
    Their are even a few brands that are totally TCP/IP uncompliant.
    Pheonix 4.04 or higher
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    Client for NetWare Networks
    Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
    IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol
    NetBEUI
    This is what your Network Configuration should look like. Unfortunately, This setup will not allow you access to the internet.
    Unless you have a gateway.

Here is a link that might help
    http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=33

7. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

ok, i tried to uninstall and reinstall everything ... but in the end, it still didnt work .....

i also tried what jpoff suggested and that didnt work either .... now, its saying that i dont use TCP/IP for the network card .... so which IP address would i ping to? i know in the IPX protocols, you can have an IPX network address in the advanced tab .... whats a valid IPX address that i am able to use? and how am i able to ping it? from what i know, if you still only use IPX and not TCP, you can still see the computers on the network, being that its setup correctly?

also, a note .... i noticed that sometimes, when i open network neighborhoo, sometimes, itll first show up with nothing until i wait 5 min, and refresh and then that computer will show up .... but sometimes, when i open network neighborhood, computer #1, the win95 machine, will have the flash light going from side to side, as if its searching for something, and it takes quite awhile before the "Entire Network" icon to show up .... and while it does that, if i go to computer #2, the win98 machine, computer #1 will show up in network neighborhood, but when i go to view the contents, it gives me the error:

"The computer or sharename could not be found. Please try again or check network troubleshooting in Help"

but then as soon as comp #1 (win95) stops searching with its flashlight, the computer disappears from network neighborhood in computer #2 (win98).

so i am guessing there could be something in the computer itself, or the settings somewhere in the computer thats not permitting the network to work? i dont think its a non-working cable (as i got a working one from my work place), and i dont think its the NIC cards themselves?

also, say i were to get it to work using the IPX protocol instead of the TCP/IP protocol. how would i get a network connection to be shared on each computer?

8. Rockn

Rockn

Try pinging the local loopbac address of 127.0.0.1 if you can't get to that on either PC locally there is a problem with you TCP/IP installation. If that does work try your localhost address on each PC...192.168.0.1 for computer 1 from itself and 192.168.0.2 for computer 2 from itself. If you can't ping from there your TCP/IP protocol is also at fault or not installed correctly. If you can ping each one from itself and the loopback ping also works there is a hardware problem, either in the NIC itself or in an improperly wired crossover cable.

9. jpoff

jpoff

Computers using Windows 95 and Windows 98 have problems seeing the network or File Transfer is too slow. In some cases when the driver is installed properly and no errors are reported in Device Manager, some users may experience delays with transfering files or having problems browsing the network. If the protocols and the File and Print Sharing are setup properly, try changing the Transmit setting in the card.
    Go to Control Panel and open Network.
    Highlight the Linksys driver in the list and click Properties.
    Click on the Advanced tab.
    Highlight Transmit Threshold and change the value option to Store and Forward (this setting will solve most problems, you can also try other values).
    Click OK.
    Click OK again.
    Windows may ask for the installation files and ask you to restart the computer.
    Click Yes to restart.

Try this

10. active95

active95

Adding my 2cents here...
    I notice at the begining of the tread that you use the IP 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and subnet mask 255.255.255.224
    Might wanna try this as well.
    Make the IP addresses 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Post what happen with this configuration..
    HTH

11. pthres

pthres

As I said in my first post ( 5th post down ) and ROCKN later confirmed you have got to get a basic connection going first, you need to follow the steps in my post to confirm wether a machines tcp/ip is working properly, first you need to ping either "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" either will give you an answer as to wether that machines tcp/ip is working..........if it's not at this stage network neighborhood will never work.........these steps will tell you approx where the problem lies.......try the ping commands first and re-post to let us know...

12. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Having just read Active95's post I went back and reread your first post again. He is dead right, the last digits of the IP addresses you have set are not valid for the 224 subnet mask. Follow his suggestion and change the last digit to zero and it is then valid. Sorry for not spotting that before.

13. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

ok, i have changed the subnet back to 255.255.255.0 .... that still doesnt work

this whole time, i was able to ping myself...(ie comp #1 of 192.168.0.1 is able to ping 192.168.0.1, localhost, and 127.0.0.1 and comp #2 of 192.168.0.2 is able to ping 192.168.0.2, localhost, and 127.0.0.1)

jpoff: in the driver's advanced section, in computer #1, only thing listed is:

Media Type :
    Autosense (this is selected)
    10BaseT
    10BaseT Full_Duplex
    100BaseTX
    100BaseTX Full_Duplex

computer #2:

Adapter PCI Bus Number (Not Selected)
    Adapter PCI Slot Number (Not Selected

Media Type:
    100Mbps Full-Duplex
    100Mbps Half-Duplex
    10Mbps Full-Duplex
    10Mbps Half-Duplex
    AutoSelect
    HardwareDefault (this is selected)

NDIS Driver Version:
    AutoSelect (this is selected)
    NDIS 5

i dont think its a cable problem. i took a crossover cable from an existing working computer using a satellite internet connection (that uses crossover cables).

i had it working before. its just not working now?

should i try using the IP of 10.0.0.1 instead of 192.168.0.1 and so forth?

any help please? im gonna be so pissed at this computer if i cant get this to work

but THANKS for all the help and any future help!!

ALSO.... on computer #1, i only have 2 PCI slots, 1 being taken by the NIC card and the other being taken by my Maxtor Ultra/ATA controller card (for my hard drive). should i uninstall both cards, and swap the card's places?

14. pthres

pthres

You forgot to mention whether or not they can ping and communicate with each other

15. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

nope. each computer can ping themselves, but when i ping each other's IP address, or i ping the computer name, it cant. if i ping the address, it says request timeout. if i ping the computer name, it says "unknown host southk" (if im pinging from typesk).

so nope, they cant communicate with each other nor can they ping each other. only can they ping themselves.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/83533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice