1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Basic Networking question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tafree, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tafree

tafree Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I have a question relating to FTP. They say that FTP is out-of-band meaning uses separate control connection and data connection. I wanted to know what's the advantage and disadvantge of it being an out-of-band?

Thanks

2. renegade X

renegade X

Advantage is that is is not travelling over the same protocol as most of your other apps (TCP). Disadvantage is that the data may be lost if the application can not keep it.

I am a FTP fan.

3. tafree

tafree Thread Starter

Hi renegade X,

You said its not travelling on the same protocol, what exactly is the protocol?
    What if FTP used one connection for both contol and data, would that be good or bad? What would be the difference?

Thanks,

4. renegade X

renegade X

Think of protocol as a highway.
    TCP and FTP will never collide.

5. tafree

tafree Thread Starter

I think i know what you mean.

I do have another question, if you dont mind :)

what are the benefits of SMTP server accepting coonections from hosts it can identify as SMTP servers?

Thanks,

6. renegade X

renegade X

I would have to say security. If you are setting up an Exchange server, you should use this setting.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice