1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Basic networking questions: help please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robwoolly, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

Hi folks

I have two pc's that I generally use throughout the day. My home desktop and my work laptop.

They are both connect to the web via my BT Homehub box. Both wireless.

I have a printer connected to the desktop and an external 250Gb HDD.

I want to be able to share both the printer and the external HD with my work laptop.

Can somebody point me in the right direction as to what I need to be doing to get this working.

I have tried to share the harddrive by right clicking and going to sharing and security but cannot see the drive from my work laptop??

Any help greatly received. Thanks

2. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

Forgot to say, both PCs running Windows XP.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here's a wizard way ...

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

4. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

hi mate, thanks for the advice.

Managed to get as far as being able to see my home pc on my work laptop under:

My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network.

I can then see the network that I have setup. When I drill into that network I can see my home pc.

However when I double click to connect it brings up a username and password box? I dont recall setting a username and password anywhere in the setup?

Is there a default password I need to use or somewhere to configure the passwords on my home pc?

Thanks

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your home PC XP Home or XP Pro? If it is Home or if it is Pro using Simple File Sharing there should be no password request.

If it is XP Pro using Advanced File Sharing you can change to SFS, assign a password to the user account, or create (you don't have to actually use it) the same password and user account on the home PC as you use on the work PC.

When you go into My Network Places what happens with 'view workgroup computers'?

6. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

Home PC is running XP Pro SP2. So is the laptop.

on the home pc there is nothing listed there.

On the laptop there is no option to run the network wizard in the control panel.

How do I go about switching to SFS on XP Pro?

Thanks for the help mate

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm on Ubuntu now and about to leave the house, so the following may not be exactly right, but it will get you in the ball park.

Control Panel - Folder options - View(?) tab - scroll to the bottom and check 'Use Simple File Sharing.' If Control Panel does not have that panel, try in any Windows Explorer window Tools - Folder options ... .

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!