1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

basic networking questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by misterfry, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misterfry

misterfry Thread Starter

Can this:

Modem -> Router -> Hub -> Host, Host, Etc...
    ....................\
    ...............Wireless -> Host, Host, Etc...

Turn into this?:
    ......................Switch -> Host, Host, Host, Host
    ......................./
    ....................\
    ...............Wireless -> Host, Host, Etc...

If not, why? If so, how?

Also, this network is P2P. Is there anyway to segment part of the network to have a server, to that it would look something like this?:

...............................Router -> Server -> Client, Client, Client
    ...................................../
    .....................\
    ................Wireless -> Host, Host, Etc...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If I could actually understand what you're trying to diagram, I could probably answer the question. :)

Look at the post, that's all scrambled. How about using a simple graphics program and drawing a simple diagram? You can even draw it by hand and scan it.

3. misterfry

misterfry Thread Starter

It's not scrambled! The periods align everything just right! :D

Try this, it should be easier to understand:

[​IMG]

4. JohnWill

#2. no problem.

#3. The computers on the first router will not be able to file/print sharing with the computers on the second routers. It will work, but what are you trying to accomplish?

5. misterfry

misterfry Thread Starter

I'm just trying to understand networking on a practical level. #1 is how the network at my workplace is setup, it's just a small office/warehouse environment. I tried #2 there (my workbench is right next to the hub, :p) but couldn't get the hosts on the other side of the switch to communicate - they couldn't resolve an IP address...

I was trying to get some computers networked so I could boot up drive wiping and ghosting utilities instead of rewriting a bunch of CDs and fooling with the KVM after cycling the power.

#3 would be just practice installing a server and setting up a domain. They are going to switch from a peer2peer network soon, and I'd like to get in on it...

I'm not too clear with all the practical stuff. I took a networking course but most of what I learned was conceptual... there wasn't much hands-on.

6. JohnWill

What is the make/model of the switch? If it's a managed switch, it may have been mis-configured. If it's an unmanaged switch, I'd suspect something simple like not using the uplink port and/or not using a crossover cable. You identify the first one as a hub. If that's really a hub, you need to use the uplink port or a crossover cable for any other ports to connect it to another hub/switch.

The #2 configuration should be transparent and work just fine. I essentially have that very configuration here, there's a switch in front of my router, and another one in the basement that is distributing the signal to other rooms.

7. misterfry

misterfry Thread Starter

It's a Cisco FastHub 400M 24 port, and it's a managed hub. I'm not sure how it's IP addresses are configured though. I just had a look at the manual online and I can go though the console port:

"You can assign IP information to the hub by following the hub start-up prompts displayed from a terminal emulation program on your management station."

I assume that means use telnet, but telnet to where? Would tracert or the routing table have that info?

I've been reading a bunch of forums, and everyone just says "Hubs don't have IP addresses"

8. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Why are you all still using a hub? There are definite performance issues using a hub.

If you don't know what the configuration of the hub is in terms of the IP address it answers on, you need to get a rollover cable with a RJ45 end to a serial 9 pin end. The RJ45 end plugs into the back of the hub where it says Console. The serial 9 pin end will plug into a serial Com port on your laptop/PC. You need to then use a terminal type software like Hyperterminal or Putty. The typical settings for all Cisco Console connections are 9600 Baud, 8 Data Bits, 1 Stop Bits, and no parity.

As far as what people have been saying on the forums, they're right and wrong. For your typical hub, yes, they don't have IP addresses. But for a managed hub which is what you have, you can assign an IP address for management of the hub through a web GUI or a console type connection (ie. Telnet.)

One thing about what you're attempting to do.....I mean no offense by this. But based on your posts and the networking knowledge you have that I've been able to gleen from
    these posts, you shouldn't be going into a Cisco device and mess around on the command line. You really should have some basic understanding on how basic Cisco command line operations work. If you don't, you can really mess things up.

9. misterfry

misterfry Thread Starter

I know that... I guess the guy before me hooked up the network here, I'm not sure. They're probably were not any switches around when he hooked it up, besides, it's only a small office of around 10 computers and only 3 people use the internet and any given time... so it's not really a big deal.

Thanks. I saw that in the manual. I don't think there are any serial rollover cables here though. Is it possible to wire one with two RJ-45s? I'd like to hook it up just to get a feel for the environment without having to change anything at first - if I need to anyway.

No offense taken, I have absolutely no experience with Cisco equipment. The manual seems to have most of the commands needed, and I assume there is a "help" command like in every other terminal. I use linux and was around when DOS was the only choice, so I'm pretty comfortable in terminals, for what it's worth. Anyhow, I have it fixed now 5 minutes after getting to work. It turns out it was just the onboard NIC that crapped out.

I'd previously replaced it, but I was still plugging the RJ45 into the onboard!

One simple, stupid mistake lends confusion to everything simple... Doh! :D

10. JohnWill

I'm not sure with this size LAN that I wouldn't just go buy an 8 port unmanaged switch to solve the hub issue. The time beating that thing into submission may be more costly than the $30 switch. :D

11. misterfry

misterfry Thread Starter

I just hooked a router up to the switch, which is now on a 192.168.1.x net instead of the 192.168.0.x. Is there anyway to configure to routers so that the computers on separate nets can communicate with each other?

12. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Yes, depends on your switch hardware and your router. From what I can gather from your network description, you won't be able to do this without purchasing new hardware.

13. JohnWill

What is the make/model of the router? Why do you need a router there at all if you want them all to communicate?

14. misterfry

misterfry Thread Starter

On the other side of the switch and router (linksys befsr41) I set up a domain controller which serves a few computers. From the computers on that domain, I can ping the hosts on the other network segment, but not vice versa...

192.168.0.x can't ping 192.168.1.x
    192.168.1.x can ping 192.168.0.x

Why is this?

15. JohnWill

Because the NAT layer between them is a one-way street without port forwarding to individual IP addresses. You need to review how a router works, you're tripping over the NAT layer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!