Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Basic PC Upgrade questions on GPU/CPU/Motherboard

Tags
cpu gpu
413 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, please inform me which is correct and ill change it.

So,
I have a PC, id like to upgrade my GPU, Do I need to also upgrade my CPU depending on which GPU I buy? Do I need to make sure the power supply can handle the upgrade? Do I need to make sure my motherboard is compatible? I am completely clueless, I have the information on what gpu, cpu & motherboard I have if needed. Thank you!

#2 · (Edited)
If you provide a detailed description of the processor(CPU) and graphics card(GPU) and motherboard and RAM and power supply(PSU) that are currently in your PC, the hardware experts here should be able to help you.
Also provide a description of the graphics card(GPU) you want to upgrade to, and why you want to do it.
I'm guessing you're a gamer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
Do I need to also upgrade my CPU depending on which GPU I buy?
Preferably...yes but not required.

Do I need to make sure the power supply can handle the upgrade?
Yes...it should meet the minimum requirements

Do I need to make sure my motherboard is compatible?
Yes...that's the most important aspect.

I have the information on what gpu, cpu & motherboard I have if needed. Thank you!
Yes....very helpful and needed.

#4 ·
Okay, Here are some photos with the info..
(May be overkill sorry) The main reason for my wanting to upgrade is for gaming, mine has become outdated & im looking to give it to my nephew but id like it to perform far better with games before I do, appreciate the replies very much!

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
The flash obscured the last part of the model number (K?) of the motherboard.
The other images show your PC as having these specs:

ASUS PRIME A320M-K? motherboard

AMD Athlon 200GE 3.20 GHz quad core processor (benchmark score is 4956)
Rectangle Font Number Parallel Screenshot

AMD Radeon Vega 3 integrated graphics (benchmark score is 1077)
Rectangle Font Circle Number Screenshot

8 GB DDR4 RAM

FSP Group FSP500-60AHBC 500W power supply (456W on 12V rails)
Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Pattern

----------------------------------------------------------------

You didn't say which graphics card you want to install and use.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
#8 ·
That looks like a prebuilt PC I can definitely tell with the parts you have. Be aware that you upgrade your CPU you will void your warranty but maybe you are past that. R5 1600 6c/12t CPU with an RX 570 or GTX 1060/1660 would be a very nice upgrade but as mentioned above be sure you update your BIOS and if you are not comfortable doing these things call your OEM (the one that sold you the PC) and ask for advice, or take it to a local PC shop that caters to enthusiasts and be sure you pick a shop that does just that because if they don't know / cater to enthusiasts you don't get advanced service or level of knowledge.

#9 ·
Just a word of advise. Asus makes some very fine motherboards however the 320 chipset boards are entry level ie designed for basic use; running office, email, etc NOT gaming. In addition, that is a micro board; again NOT designed for any stressful endeavor.
There is a LOT more to a gaming system than simply installing a video card. A gaming system has a performance motherboard with heavy duty capacitors/ VRs [voltage regulators] extra chipset cooling, steel slots for the video card, etc, etc. A gaming system has a high end pw supply ie seasonic or high end corsair; a gaming system has a case that can provide ample airflow to cool parts.

In short, all of the parts need to work together to achieve a decent level of performance. Installing a gaming video card in a micro board is analogous to installing a performance cam in an econbox car. It will work however it will never work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.