1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Basic Vista questions/complaints

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Ron the Geek, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ron the Geek

Ron the Geek Thread Starter

Hey, all. Again, for those who don't know, I'm the guy who "cleans" up computers lost in pawn or those purchased by the store for resale. As you would imagine, I have (had?...) a routine for going through a machine but Vista has kinda squelched that. No longer is "Run" in the startup menu although I can run "msconfig" from the command prompt as well as "regedit". Is this a changeable default or is this feature just not available in Vista ("Run" not showing up in the start menu.)

Many times, our sales people neglect to get passwords from people. In XPHE, I can "backdoor" through the Administrator's account in safe mode and remove any passwords. When I boot in safe mode in Vista, I get no "Administrator" account, only the same accounts that appear on normal boot. Can I get into the Vista OS through any backdoor? Can I get THE Administrators' account to show up in safe mode? Or is there even a "master" administrators account in Vista?

I also can't find the desktop wizard when searching nor can I find any info on "clean desktop". Are these functions gone or have the overly creative minds at MS just called them something else?

And, as I mentioned once before in another thread, when searching, I can specify "files" or "music" or "pictures" but no longer is there a "video" option. Does the "picture" category cover videos, too? Or do I have to search by extention, one file type at a time? (Believe me, there ARE videos on some of the machines I get that really are...inappropriate...to leave on the system.)

Any help on these issues is appreciated.
    rtg :eek:

2. kama64

kama64

3. Ron the Geek

Okay, that answers some things. Now, since I can't search the way I'm used to, I'm having to go through the whole &(%@#@ thing - every @%##$ folder - to see if any inappropriate material is on here. But, when I try and open the "cookies" folder (under Users > user name > cookies) it tells me "access denied." What the heck is this?! I can't open up a cookies folder in Vista?! I hate Microsoft....

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you ever tried "Windows Key+ R" it will open the run window every time.

However as with ALL other versions of Windows the run command is NOT shown on the menu by default. It MUST be turn on in the Start Properties, Start menu (tab) and Customize.

5. Ron the Geek

Cool tip Dave. As long as I've been doing this, I learn something new almost every day. I'm sure I just need to get better acquainted with Vista. I'm still running XP at home and have no plans - yet - to upgrade to Vista. Any other tips or comments out there most welcome! Thanks!
    rtg :)

6. Ron the Geek

Okay, help this old man with this one... In folder options, I select "Open each folder in it's own window" which it does in Control Panel BUT if I open Computer and then open the main drive (C) it opens in the same folder. Every folder I try and open from anywhere in Computer opens in the same folder. Can I change this? Thanks!
    rtg

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I do NOT use this feature, but did you select the "Apply to all folders" when you made this change?

8. Ron the Geek

Nope. Didn't notice that switch. That machine is on the sales floor now, but - if it's still there - I'll go up and check that out. (You'd be surprised at how fast these things sell. There's been more than once that a machine sold before I got it off the cart and put on display!) "Just wheel it out to my car" are words I like to hear. Thanks, Dave!
    rtg

9. Ron the Geek

Kama -

What I was looking for was what is referred to in XP as the "Desktop Cleanup Wizard." It doesn't clean up the disk, it looks for unused icons on the desktop and moves them all into a folder called "unused desktop icons" (which I usually trash; afterall, you can always drag another shortcut out.) On many of the machines I get, the desktop is so cluttered with icons, one wonders how the user found anything. Many are also for programs that I end-up uninstalling anyway. I try to put as "clean" of a machine on the sales floor as I can. So if anyone knows where this function is in Vista, do let me know, please. Thanks!!
    rtg

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I do NOT think there is one. You should be ale to Right click and drag a window around the icons on the desktop and select delete.

11. Ron the Geek

Dave -

Just went up and checked out the Vista machine on the sales floor. There is no switch to tell it to "apply to all folders" that I can find. Where is it?
    rtg

12. PK man

PK man

I am trying to load Pinnacle Studio 10.6, and I get a message "insufficient rights. You must be an administrator to load software. Log on as administrator to install." As far as I know, I am on as the administrator. What am I doing wrong? Is is Vista, or the software? Any help is greatly appreciated. PK

13. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    The attachment is from XP but the same on Vista.

Attached Files:

14. mrss

mrss Guest

I had that same problem with Pinnacle Studio 9.3. With some programs, you can load them by right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator", but that didn't work with Studio. I found I had to go to turn off UAC, user account control.

Go to Control Panel >> User Accounts >> Turn User Account Control Off

You may want to turn UAC back on afterwards.

BTW, my Studio 9.4 was not Vista compatible for my PC. Vista couldn't see the DVD drive afterwards. I had to migrate to Studio 11 for that PC. It screwed up the registry too and I had to restore to factory default to get the DVD working again.,

15. Ron the Geek

Dave - OK, I found (remember) where that switch is from your thumbnail BUT...the button is inactive - it's grayed out and won't execute. Do I need to Reset Folders first? And then will I need to reset all of my changes? Thanks!
    rtg

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice