1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Basic Wireless question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mikesa, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mikesa

Mikesa Thread Starter

I have a Belkin F5D6230-3 Wireless Cable Gateway Router. It has 1 Port for the Cable modem connection and 3 additional Lan ports. I'm assuming that limits me to a maximum of three wired or wireless client connections. If I get a Wireless Access Point and connect it to one of these three available ports, will I then be able to attach multiple wireless clients to my network. Sorry if this is obvious, but I am new to wireless but benefitting trmendously from this forum.

Thanks,
    MIke

2. springbrk200

springbrk200

You should not have a problem connecting multiple computers to the wireless access point. You should be able to connect as many wireless clients as the access point can support.

3. Mikesa

Mikesa Thread Starter

I understood that the WAP would not be too limited. I thought that someone told me, or I read that, the Belkin Wireless Cable Gateway/Router, although accepting wired or wireless, would accept no more than three clients total. I thought that if the Belkin Gateway/Router was limited to clients, wired or wireless, by the three available ports, then it wouldn't see multiple clients from the AP coming into one port of the router. If I'm not limited to wireless clients on my Belkin Wireless Cable Gateway/Router, that's great. If I am, and an AP connected to one of the ports expands my wireless client capabilities, that would work out. Once again, my apologies as I'm a neophyte with wireless networks.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Mikesa

Mikesa Thread Starter

I think I might have answered my own question. I found that a Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router is that due to its having a built in WAP, thus, what I thought was a limitation due to three ethernet ports, has nothing to do with the wireless clients.

Thanks,
    Mike

5. linskyjack

linskyjack

yup you can have more wirless nodes then you know what to do with--enjoy

6. oldschooller

oldschooller

usually you can have up to 249+1(yours) wireless conn.. your router should be able to support two wired and up to 249 wireless don't quote me on it though I seem to be having simular problems as well as others

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the router can support many wired connections, but practical considerations limit the wireless connections to a few. Since 802.11b/g is half duplex, and all of the connections share the bandwidth, by the time you get half a dozen connections, the actual sustained throughput to each station is pretty small, probably on the order of 400-500kbit. By the time you get to a dozen wireless clients, the speeds would be slower than dial-up connections.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice