basics of posting pictures

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

judycho2000

I don't know anything about computers and I need to know the basics about how to post pictures. I guess I need a scanner. What kind of scanner? What's the next step after that?

Please use simple and not technical words if possible. My computer knowledge is very minimal. Thanks.

Judy

Hi and welcome to TSG

This simple question may take a lot of answering!

It all depends what you want to do.. If by 'posting pictures' you mean sending electronic version of your own photos to friends etc, you don't necessarily need to resort to the expense of a scanner or software.

Easiest solution is to get your prints or slides copied on to a CD - Kodak here in the UK do such a service, a 'full' disk of about 40 images costing about £24.00 if you add them post-original developing and printing.. If however you have your films directly processed to CD, the resulting disk, with a set of prints, can be as low as about £9 for a 36 exp film.
The disks include the simple software that allows you to view, print and email the pics.

If you want a more complete solution, yes, you will need a scanner. Which one you choose will depend on the exact usage you envisge in the long term. I suggest you look at the popular PC press for reveiws and the like because their are a lot of scanners out there. Bare in mind that you don't want anything too fancy if you are not going to do 'professional' reproductions.
If you do want the latter, a dedicated negative scanner is the pro's choice, but they are very expensive. Some low-end scanners come with negative adapters and these are fine for the basic job and will give better results than a print scan.

A scanner will have its own operational software which may or may not include manipulation programs. If not I would suggest something like PhotoShop 7 or Adobe PhotoShop Elements, both priced at abot £70 here. They will both do excellent jobs and are reasonably priced (partic compared to a full pro Adobe package at about £550!)

You will need to do a fair bit of research to make your choices, but a good start point is on the Adobe web site.

Here's a link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techguides/printpublishing/scanning/psscanning03.html

It covers practically everything about scanning and photo reproduction techniques in a relatively simple manner.

See how you go, and keep watching the board for other members posting advice on this thread.

judycho2000

Thanks, Mike
for your reply to my post and all the information you have given me. I'm so unfamiliar about computers that I don't even know what questions to ask.

I think I'm going to go with a scanner that is moderately priced. As you wrote it should come with some kind of a software and instructions, I hope.

I will keep reading and learning about this as much as I can.
Thanks for your info and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future.

Judy

Hi again Judy.

As I say, look in the PC magazines - Public Libraries have back issues and each magazine will regularly do comparitive reviews on these scanners. They will also have details on their websites -they all have them.

Try this site for instance:

http://www.zdnet.com/special/filters/sc/scanner/

Its can be a bit confusing but bear in mind that its your hard cash you are dolling out so you don't want to find out after a few weeks that you've not got the right machine and paid too much or too little. And you'll learn a lot along the way, which is never a bad thing.

On the subject of cost, well, here in the UK I would say mainstream scanners of good quality price between £50 and £150 including taxes. Manufacturers I would look for are Hewlett Packard with their ScanJet series; Epson with their Perfection series; and, in the budget range, Umax and their Astra range; but there are others. Even the bottom end devices in these ranges will do a good job for the use I've mentioned, and, if you check around, may come bundled with all the softeware you'll ever need.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions of store salesmen, no matter how dumb you think they are (the questions, not the salesmen!....hmmmn, I don't know though!), just use your common sense to filter out the hype and oversell stuff.

As for a final purchase - shop around!! Never pay more than you have to and check out the Internet Shops. The last thing I bought was an HP printer over the net at least 20% below what the local shops were asking.

Best of luck - not that you'll need it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online