"Batch Renaming" in Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jkskinsfan

With Windows XP you can easily rename multiple files.

1. Highlight all of the Files that you want to rename.
2. Next, Right Click one of the Highlighted Files.
3. From the Pop-Up Menu, Left Click the Rename option.
4. Type in the new Name and press Enter.

The files will all be renamed. For instance, if you typed “Easter” as the file name during step 4 above, the highlighted files would be named Easter, Easter(1), Easter(2), etc.

DoubleHelix

Banned
One reason might be if you downloaded pictures from a digital camera and they were named things like "PIC07001.jpg" and you wanted to name them something more descriptive.

This trick was featured in a newsletter from Microsoft. Obviously the people who awarded you an MVP thought it was useful. :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can see renaming them unique names, but I guess I don't see that a common name is any more descriptive. To each his own. BTW, not every "trick" thought of or published by Microsoft is automatically a great idea.

It's actually great for me. We have a crappy digital camera that is set to only take 18 pictures in one go.(probably can he changed but no one will do it) then we have to download to a folder and delete on the camera.
we keep pictures saved by the month and year, so if we have 18 done for one month we have to rename the next 18 for the same month or there will be duplicate names. This allows me to quickly rename the new bunch so I don't have to save in a subfolder. Nice tip!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts