1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery: 0% Available (Plugged in, charging)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gunnerblaster, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gunnerblaster

Gunnerblaster Thread Starter

The title is the message I've been getting for about the past month and a half. I noticed my battery draining, even while plugged in, until it finally got to 0%. With the power adapter plugged in, the laptop still runs but I just recently had an experience where the laptop was suddenly cutting off, even while plugged in.I've done as much troubleshooting as possible, but I haven't been able to figure out the problem. I managed to switch the laptop over into power saver mode and it's been letting me use it without dying immediately on me. I have an internal battery, so the option to remove and power it on separately isn't an option for me.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8103 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 702747 MB, Free - 466347 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, VG10S
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

This is my final call for help before I go through the long and tedious process of sending my only working computer to the repair center for several weeks' time. Help!

Edited to add Troubleshooting steps taken:
    1.) Tried a Hard reset using the pin-hole reset button for the internal battery, while completely unplugged.
    2.) Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery.

2. valis

valis Moderator

how old is the laptop? Sounds like a dead battery.

3. Gunnerblaster

Roughly a year and a half old.

4. valis

valis Moderator

that's young for a battery but not unheard of. First thing I would do is drain it entirely, let it sit for a bit, then try charging it. If no luck, at that point, it's time to just buy a new battery.

5. Gunnerblaster

It's a non-removable battery. I've taken apart my laptop and tried. Even after unscrewing it from the motherboard, it still has cauterized connections that I'm not willing to break just to remove it.

Like I mentioned in the original post, this issue would've probably be long-resolved if it had been a removable battery.

6. valis

valis Moderator

what's the make/model?

7. Gunnerblaster

Toshiba Satellite P50-A Series, Mfg part #: BASE-0251, Serial#: 7D049527M

8. valis

valis Moderator

Yup, I can't help there. Googling that model, however, did show that there are a LOT of issues with battery wear on those rigs....

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!