1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery and AC power settings in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JAsoncox, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JAsoncox

JAsoncox Thread Starter

I have a problem! who knew. When I have the battery installed in my gateway M505 my computer only runs at around 600-800 Mhz. It's built to run at 1.4G, which it does, BUT only when I remove the battery. Here's the thing that ticks me off, the battery is reading 0% in power settings utility in XP. So I run the comp off AC with the battery installed. I expect it to run at normal power settings. Also the battery charge indicator will not come on when I have AC power hooked up. My drivers all seem to be right, but there has to be a problem here somewhere. I already have a new battery on order and on it's way, but how I get the comp to run at 100% CPU power while on AC with a battery installed. And is there possibly a problem with the laptop that's causing the battery to not charge?

2. Dan O

Dan O

You may need a BIOS uodate to fix APCI.

3. x_theory

x_theory

Your system uses a Pentium M type of processor, which is designed to extend your battery life by using less energy when it is running off of battery. One way it does this is by dropping it's speed during times that your using the battery as it's only power source. Usually, the clock speed will increase even if on battery if the computer requires more processing power to get a specific task done. The Pentium M's also do this to reduce the amount of heat it makes, which is a common problem for most laptop computers.

As for the battery charging not showing, I would check on the BIOS ACPI updates on Gateways support website. Sometimes, they may not publish them because of the likeliness of a user doing the BIOS flashing incorrectly and rendering their computer totally unusable. You might have to ship it in to get it updated. If you can't find the update on the support website, try calling Gateway Tech support and seeing if there is a BIOS update available, and how to go about shipping your laptop in for that to be done.

4. JAsoncox

JAsoncox Thread Starter

I have the BIOS update. I don't have a floppy disk drive on this comp and to Flash the BIOS, you have to be able to load the bios.exe file when you boot up. Well, I've copied all the necesary files to a CD ROM and 2 SD memory cards but the computer will not let me run the bios.exe. Any idea of how I can get to the boot command prompt. I have the bios setup to read removable media first, and then CD, and then hard disk. But it always goes straight to hard disk. unless of course it's the XP install disk. What should I do now, I have to flash the bios.....it's got an update!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/226904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice