1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery auto shut off but still shows a charge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by effrum, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. effrum

effrum Thread Starter

After some light searching I have not found anything that is quite similar enough to my problem to be helpful... though I have probably missed a good amount of info.

I have been using my HP dv7 laptop for about 2 years now. It has been a beastly laptop so far able to play almost any game on battery for a good amount of time or stay charged for light use for long periods of time.

A few days ago for the first time ever my laptop just straight up shut down instantaneously while I was in class. I remembered the battery being around 55% when it shut down.

I pressed the power button and it turned back on so I thought it was just a weird system hiccup but when it started to get to the bios it shut down again. Weird.

When I got back to my place I charged it back up full and then unplugged it and the same thing happened around 50%.

It happens around the same percentage each time. From this I would suspect a bad battery which happened to my last laptop but I am able to get it to boot for about 5 seconds after it dies and I turn it back on but then it just shuts off again. Also when I plug it back in after a sudden power off, it shows that the battery is still around 50%. So strange to me but maybe someone has a clue what is going on or can help me out. Thank you.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So it runs on the battery until it reaches about 50% and then shuts off? If so that's not uncommon and a sign of a battery failure.

3. effrum

effrum Thread Starter

Right but when it shuts off I can press the power button and the computer turns on again for a few seconds then shuts off. and when I plug it back in the battery shows 50% life. In the past when I've had battery failure the computer might turn off at 50% then be completely dead and when I plug it back in the battery shows 0 or 1% as it is recharging. Do you still think that this could mean battery failure and if so do you know why it would still indicate being half charged when I turn it back on?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, because it turns on for a second or two doesn't mean part of the battery hasn't failed, half the cells could or part of the internal battery circuit could have failed.

5. ringowheelin

ringowheelin

Does it power down or just instant off? If it powers down look for a battery tool in your applications, All my HPs have had a tool that will charge the battery, drain it, and charge it again all the while watching its state to recalibrate the battery meter. Also, have you gone to the advanced power properties to be sure its set to shut the pc down at a lower percent, say 3 or 5%?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice