Battery charging issue

Matt23

I have an Acer Aspire A515-51G
This has AC14B8K battery
I bought this laptop two years ago.
I primarily use my laptop for coding purposes. But for the past 6 months due to covid, I've spent a lot of time gaming.
So now my laptop doesn't charge anymore.
(There's a small orange light that gets lit up when I put my laptop to charge. This orange light goes on and off when the charge is low too.)
When I connect it to the charger, the orange light turns on for a brief second and then turns off.
And the laptop doesn't charge at all.
This problem started today all of a sudden.
Is this a problem that could be resolved if I replace my laptop battery?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Welcome to the forum, @Matt23.

Before buying a replacement battery, have you tried removing the current one and booting up the laptop using AC only?

managed

Allan
To replace the battery you would have to dismantle the laptop as shown in this video :-

Couriant

James
What you are describing is most likely that the battery has failed.

You may be able to confirm the health of the battery by running the report:

Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin), type powercfg /batteryreport

The report will be stored in C:\Windows\System32. Copy and paste this link into your browser:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\battery-report.html

Confirm the Design Capacity and the Full Charge Capacity:

1620849414613.png

Yes you can use the machine without battery connected, just keep in mind that you cannot remove the ac adapter until you shut down the computer.

Matt23

So I removed the battery and booted it up using the AC adapter only but to no avail.
The laptop doesn't turn on or charge for that matter.

Matt23

What you are describing is most likely that the battery has failed.

You may be able to confirm the health of the battery by running the report:

Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin), type powercfg /batteryreport

The report will be stored in C:\Windows\System32. Copy and paste this link into your browser:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\battery-report.html

Confirm the Design Capacity and the Full Charge Capacity:

View attachment 287610

Yes you can use the machine without battery connected, just keep in mind that you cannot remove the ac adapter until you shut down the computer.
Unfortunately, my laptop has run out of charge and I'm unable to turn it on anymore. It doesn't boot up with AC adapter either(battery removed).

Last edited:

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It's possible either (1) the DC power jack in the laptop is broken and won't charge; or (2) the AC adapter itself is broken and won't charge the battery. The former would be a more expensive repair; therefore, I recommend purchasing a replacement adapter and trying it out. Here's an example of one that'll work for your laptop.

Matt23

It's possible either (1) the DC power jack in the laptop is broken and won't charge; or (2) the AC adapter itself is broken and won't charge the battery. The former would be a more expensive repair; therefore, I recommend purchasing a replacement adapter and trying it out. Here's an example of one that'll work for your laptop.
So I tried everything and finally ended up giving it to the technician. The technician told me that the adapter and battery are both working fine. The problem is some charging socket on the motherboard. What could have caused this problem?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What could have caused this problem?
I've seen it happen when either wear & tear can cause it, or the laptop may have incurred damage when dropped with the adapter jack plugged in and hitting something. Regardless of how it happened, you'll likely need someone to open it up, desolder the current power jack, and then replace it. Hopefully, more damage hasn't been done to the motherboard itself.

managed

Allan
If your laptop is the same inside as the one in the video the power jack has a connector cable that plugs into the motherboard, so no soldering is required to replace it. You could look for a replacement jack with cable on Ebay and fit it yourself.

managed

Allan
I hope so Colin, I think the OP will have to remove the laptop's bottom cover to confirm though, there seem to be a lot of models with similar names.

Couriant

James
I believe you are correct Allan. The power connector should be the same throughout the main model. The cord should have a label on it with the part number that you need.

managed

Allan
Thanks James, hopefully we are correct and as Colin said it will be a lot easier to replace than a soldered in one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online